Ice pop

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kev706

Ice pop

Post by kev706 »

Hi all posting on behalf of a mate. Hes just checked his 2.1 to find it frozen solid water pump solid and ice pop sticking out of the header tank. Question is what sort of damage could it have done and what to try next.
Thanks

dansimpson
80-90 Mem No: 8552

Re: Ice pop

Post by dansimpson »

Nothing until after it thaws!
Then you can check whats damaged.
1990 1.9dg tintop....back in the fold.....

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

i would leave it until it thaws out.and then do a complete coolant change.only this time dont use 100% water. use 50% coolant.hopefully no damage has occurred..
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I'd be wanting a garage with some heating and thaw it out.. I just couldn't wait
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

As kev says.....when water turns to ice it expands, as you already know. The power of expanding ice knows no bounds, it can split open an engine block with suprising ease.
Thankfully the core plugs pop out first with most engines, but having said this, we have just seen the lowest temperatures in the UK for many years, infact, we could be in the grip of this freeze for another 8 to 10 days, so what I would be worried about is: if the damage hasn't been done yet could could well happen in the coming days.
That's why you really need to bed/steal or borrow storage so you can get the van in, out of the cold and defrosted.
Fingers crossed for you mate.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

EarthWormJim
80-90 Mem No: 2885

Post by EarthWormJim »

Any progress on this??? you may want to check your pipes (metal ones) that run underneath from front to back and check the radiator too if you hav'nt already
1.9DF 4 Speed LPG 1984 tintop
Walking around in the back ground tripping over the bloody cat

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Red Westie wrote:As kev says.....when water turns to ice it expands, as you already know. The power of expanding ice knows no bounds, it can split open an engine block with suprising ease.
Thankfully the core plugs pop out first with most engines, but having said this, we have just seen the lowest temperatures in the UK for many years, infact, we could be in the grip of this freeze for another 8 to 10 days, so what I would be worried about is: if the damage hasn't been done yet could could well happen in the coming days.
That's why you really need to bed/steal or borrow storage so you can get the van in, out of the cold and defrosted.
Fingers crossed for you mate.

Martin

I dont, as yet, have my van under cover but hopefully it willbe inside in the next couple of weeks so that I can begin the bodyswork restoration; I still worry,despite it having sufficient antifreeze, of it somehow freezing. As its been mentioned, frozen water expands and WILL wreck anything in its way. Let's look forward to the summer

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

bodywork in mid winter?
bit damp for that mate, even if it is garaged.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

New Kentish Campers

kevtherev wrote:bodywork in mid winter?
bit damp for that mate, even if it is garaged.

No, I'm going to have small woodburner going in there [24/7 if necessary; I've plenty of wood to use]to keep the damp out [its an old hoop shaped nissen hut type building] and will be fine for the job. I'll do some images of it when I am ready to start. Got my brother-in-laws T25 hi-top to do too, he goes in first.....

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

A propper nissan hut, brilliant, they are good as condensation doesnt drop from them (it runs down) and they are good for thermal heat flows
mike

New Kentish Campers

Yeah, it was formally used as a shop! Its lined inside, a bit like an old thruppeny bit so will keep some warmth in. I'll paint roller inside with white emulsion to help reflect light and to stop anything dropping onto my new paint It will be well ventilated; I dont quite fancy getting blasted up onto the moon

I've got some 8' flouresents so the lighting should be ok, all I need to source is a decent compressor and I'm ready to go. Oh, and an air fed mask. Decided upon painting in it 2-tone solid colour basecoat too; the brother in law will have to settle for a straight 2 pack

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

if its still frozen try undoing as many hoses as possible

you can try disconnecting the fan belt and fire it up for a minute or so to help thaw it .

once thawed i would bleed it up with water to save wateing antifreeze. if good then drain/antifreeze the syatem properly.

good chance to flush the system