New T25 Owner - Recon Engine?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

New T25 Owner - Recon Engine?

Post by trucker »

Newbie here, I've just bought a 1987 Auto Sleeper 1.9 dg, I got it cheap because the engine is smoking. It smokes on tickover after a minute or so and also when in traffic but clears when given a bit of clear road,it doesn't seem to be using much oil and it goes really well. I am guessing it needs a rebiuld or recon engine.
The thing is after looking around various forums I am now totally terrified of throwing away thousands of quid on a dodgy recon. HELP!!!!!! Recomendations would be very welcome, must be some good guys out there somewhere.
Now for the next two thousand questions.......
Quit ad modum panis tosti

riffboy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: New T25 Owner - Recon Engine?

Post by riffboy »

What colour is the smoke?? If its not using much oil then could just be that it needs a good service and regular running.
When the last ounce of truth has fled, nought is left but the sum of lies.............

trucker

Post by trucker »

Blue smoke, I have serviced it, air and oil filter fresh oil, plugs, ht leads. it's oiling the front o/s plug. Compression tested all ok. I noticed a thin film of oil inside airbox.Timing spot on.
I have done 150 miles or so since I serviced it with no real improvement.

riffboy

Post by riffboy »

If its oiling one of the plugs then i would guess at the piston rings on that cylinder. Might be worth just getting a new set of rings in it and checking it out after. Cos if it isn't running particularly badly then seems a bit of a waste to swap the engine for a recon.
When the last ounce of truth has fled, nought is left but the sum of lies.............

trucker

Post by trucker »

Cheers for advice,but changing rings sounds beyond my technical ability I will need to find a good person to do the work and worried that trying things may eat into my replacement engine budget

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Fill in your profile with your location. You never know somebody may be able to help you or point you in the right direction for help :ok

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

as said above, all good advice, change a motor as last resort.
mike

riffboy

Post by riffboy »

Yeah swapping it would be the last thing i would do. Get it to a decent mechanic with a bit of vw knowledge and im sure they would sort it for a fraction of the cost of a recon.

New rings etc shouldnt cost too much really, especially if you give em the bits. :ok

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

riffboy wrote:Yeah swapping it would be the last thing i would do. Get it to a decent mechanic with a bit of vw knowledge and im sure they would sort it for a fraction of the cost of a recon.

New rings etc shouldnt cost too much really, especially if you give em the bits. :ok
I like your optimism lad...it's commendable :ok
if the studs don't snap then your left with the waterseals minefield... not for the inexperienced IMHO

elite do a cheap recon 1.9 try them.
Put a wantad in the wanted for a 1.9 (I think my pal has one for sale @ £200)
personally I'd be looking forward to a 2.1, straight swap, junk the injection system to use your carb, manifold and the rest of the ancillaries.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

2011 is a bad year to swop an engine so Id be inclined to run with it as its as you say going well
mike

gordy

Post by gordy »

well to do the rings ya gotta remove head and then disturb the liners so they gotta be removed and resealed and push rod tubes too, gaskit kit alone is 90 quid then sealant oh engine out to do it pproperly, remove the piston pins which is a s**t at the best of times, like been said already snap the head studs which is common unless you have an impact gun then slightly less chance, unless you have the know how and have all the tools to do it swap the unit buy engine drop other in about 50 mins then swap across all ya bits and bang back in give service and your away ...oh and piston ring sets are 50 quid alone

trucker

Post by trucker »

Have updated my profile I am near Ipswich. Nobody I have spoken to so far seems really interested in doing anything other than ripping the engine out and putting in a recon one, I have no problem travelling distance to get work done if it needs a recon that's fine, I am just suspicious of places that tell you that with out even looking at it!
I'm not looking to get it done on the cheap I just want a reliable non leaky non smoky motor because the Mrs will be using it as a second car occasionally.

gordy

Post by gordy »

reson most advise is tto swap is all the little bits that can go wrong and add your bill up etc if studs snap its a real real pain and to fix thats if they don't have to be drilled out.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

trucker wrote:Have updated my profile I am near Ipswich. Nobody I have spoken to so far seems really interested in doing anything other than ripping the engine out and putting in a recon one, I have no problem travelling distance to get work done if it needs a recon that's fine, I am just suspicious of places that tell you that with out even looking at it!
I'm not looking to get it done on the cheap I just want a reliable non leaky non smoky motor because the Mrs will be using it as a second car occasionally.

well we're telling you aswell!
thing is as gordy says there is a lot that can go wrong with dismatling a WBX engine.
If it does.. the bills mount and the garage gets annoyed as the dang thing is hogging up the shop.

easy fix, swap it for known good engine... 8hrs and your back on the road.

Then when the old engine is out you can fix it up and either sell it or put it back and reinburse yourself some of the costs
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

gordy

Post by gordy »

kevtherev wrote:
trucker wrote:Have updated my profile I am near Ipswich. Nobody I have spoken to so far seems really interested in doing anything other than ripping the engine out and putting in a recon one, I have no problem travelling distance to get work done if it needs a recon that's fine, I am just suspicious of places that tell you that with out even looking at it!

well we're telling you aswell!
thing is as gordy says there is a lot that can go wrong with dismatling a WBX engine.
If it does.. the bills mount and the garage gets annoyed as the dang thing is hogging up the shop.

easy fix, swap it for known good engine... 8hrs and your back on the road.

Then when the old engine is out you can fix it up and either sell it or put it back and reinburse yourself some of the costs

8 hrs???? is that encluding ya breaks and lunch too lol