1.6TD Fuel consumption increasing

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Swampy
80-90 Mem No: 2802

1.6TD Fuel consumption increasing

Post by Swampy »

Thought I'd give this a shot as it's starting to bother me.

Van: 1985 1.6JX TD Carthago Camper conversion (pop-top) Manual 4-speed.

The fuel consumption in the van seems to have increased recently. I used to put £30 in the tank every 2 weeks (about a year ago).

Nowadays I seem to be putting in £30 a week. I know fuel prices have gone up, so I'm getting less for my £30, but it does feel like it's using more fuel than before & it's bothering me.

She starts & runs fine, though I do need to use the cold start device every morn for about 3-5 minutes to let the engine warm up.

All I've ever really done to her is change oil/filters etc. I was advised by a chap at Unipart to put 20w/50 oil in to ensure the engine runs quietly. (Not sure if that makes much difference really).

There do not appear to be any noticable fuel leaks in the engine bay or towards the tank.
I thought it might be time for a tune-up of some sort, though I'm not really sure where to start. It has got a high mileage.

Can anyone recommend a set of procedures/checks/adjustments to run through to ensure the engine's running OK? I really need to be able to do this at home. Any point in slinging some of that Diesel Magic fuel additive in?

(Kind of embarrased to add this bit) Oh, and the exhaust tailpipe has rusted off my silencer... The silencer is intact, but the bracket that holds the tailpipe on literally fell clean away. Pa-in-Law reckoned that would not affect economy, as the silencer itself is still intact.

Thought I'd mention it to give a complete picture, mind. Any advice appreciated (a new silencer's on my shopping list!)

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Re: 1.6TD Fuel consumption increasing

Post by Red Westie »

A few things.....
Fuel consumption always drops a few MPG at this time of year due to longer warm up circles (because ambient temperature has dropped) heavier than usual traffic, increased use of cold start button (advances pump timing) and ancillary use (wipers/washers/blowers/lights/heated rear window etc) which all load the alternater and thus engine.
Best oil (especially in the winter) is a dedicated 'Diesel' oil....15W/40...this lighter grade will also give you a couple of MPG back.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

Swampy
80-90 Mem No: 2802

Re: 1.6TD Fuel consumption increasing

Post by Swampy »

Thanks for the advice.

The old girl's due an oil change, so I'll swap out the current stuff for 15w/40.

Might also double-check in the current air filter in case it's suddenly clogged, though performance & acceleration-wise there's no difference to the usual.

I've started keeping notes on km covered & litres put in at the pump, just in case. I just started to get creeping paranoia about my engine, especially as the Van's the only runner we have right now!