wbx stainless exhausts

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lambrettalee

wbx stainless exhausts

Post by lambrettalee »

I am now in the market for a complete exhaust system and have been looking at the options available on a stainless system, mine being a DF 1.9 wbx I realise that I have to find a few extra bits and bobs to fit the later system to my van ,but can anyone give me the pros and cons of whats available how good they fit moise etc ,I,ve been looking at the Brickwerks and jp systems in particular as they look the best .. anyone got one fitted? Cheers

phredd
80-90 Mem No: 2626
Location: Doing 74mph down a dead end street. >>> in Runcorn.

Re: wbx stainless exhausts

Post by phredd »

Have a look at this thread >>>>

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73971&start=0

Plenty info thereand the thread is still current.

phredd
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
Membership No = 2626 @ Runcorn
IN ARDUIS FIDELIS.

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Like Phred says it's all in that topic

To fit a later exhaust you need the later engine mount bracket plus the longer bolts M10x85

May as well replace the rubber mounts while you are at it

Then you need the saddles as per your wanted ad and the straps.I have just found thatwww.wagonbuild.com sell a pair with the straps for £19.50 delivered, or if your feeling flush there are the brickwerks stainless saddles which will never need replacing.

Late exhausts then available from brickwerks, jp exhausts, and turbo thomas depending on your location
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk
http://www.jpexhausts.co.uk/Site/Transporter.htm
http://www.turbothomas.com

OR the easiest solution for an early DF/DG is to get the http://www.vwspeedshop.co.uk system delivered to your door which is just a straight replacement for your existing setup. However aftersales is a bit of a grey area.

Early exhausts are coming to Brickwerks sometime next year

See viewtopic.php?f=11&t=55663&p=7537843#p7537843 about the speedshop exhaust. Fairwynds will be posting an update on the one he fitted the other day....sometime.

lambrettalee

Post by lambrettalee »

Thanks for your help, looks like someone beat me to the other saddles,does the brickwerks complete kit come with the saddles? or is that on top of the 650 ish quid for the system and fixings, the brickwerks system looks the best available but I havent seen one fitted, wont be bothering with the speedshop system ... Cheers

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

brickwerks site wrote:Set includes everything you need, exhaust, cast knuckle, gaskets, nuts, bolts, washers, olives, the lot.

Doesn't look like the saddles are in the bundle as they are not part of the exhaust system

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

it's expected that you have them
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Post by Fritz »

I was one of the first to buy the Speedshop system 2.1/2 years ago, it is still running well and if anything going better than when fitted with the standard system......

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,,,,,
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

Fritz wrote:I was one of the first to buy the Speedshop system 2.1/2 years ago, it is still running well and if anything going better than when fitted with the standard system......

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,,,,,

I have to agree Fritz, even tho its only been on a week, I am very pleased with the fit / sound / performance etc of my Speedshop system. Obviously time will tell if Ive made a horrendous mistake (!) but til then.... its luvverly!
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

I doubt you will ever consider it a horrendous mistake. Most likely you will get years of trouble free quite driving from it

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Post by wasserleaker »

Worth noting that the VW Speedshop/LA Performance st/steel exhausts (both exactly the same item) are not 100 % stainless steel. some of the flanges are mild steel and will rust. why they make them like that, is anyones guess, seems stupid to me. the fit was very good on mine, no bending or forcing into place needed, there are oil filter clearance probs if your van has an oil/water heat exchanger fitted, like my 2.1 has, you need to use a 2.0 Aircooled (shorter) oil filter or similar to clear the differently routed exhaust. if you don't have the heat exchanger, you can retain the std tall oil filter.
also the straight thru, shorter box obviously has lots less backpressure than vw's std system and i had running probs, very lean, popping on over-run, white spark plug insulator tips, indicating very lean running. (they were a nice light brown before fitting, indicating that the air/fuel was about right) which took ages to sort out by tweaking the fuel/air ratio on the airflow meter. carbs may be easier to sort out in that respect.
the sound is nice, surprisingly not as noisy as you would think with a straight thru silencer, hardly any noisier than my old std exhaust. also the whole set up probably weighs in at around half of what the original pipework and silecer did!

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

wasserleaker wrote:Worth noting that the VW Speedshop/LA Performance st/steel exhausts (both exactly the same item) are not 100 % stainless steel. some of the flanges are mild steel and will rust. why they make them like that, is anyones guess, seems stupid to me.

I think that may be to stop the cracking of the flanges as stainless is more brittle. These old boxers do wag alot and all that unsupported weight takes it's toll I guess

If the flanges were thicker like silversurfer posted then there would be no issue.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

kevtherev wrote:
wasserleaker wrote:Worth noting that the VW Speedshop/LA Performance st/steel exhausts (both exactly the same item) are not 100 % stainless steel. some of the flanges are mild steel and will rust. why they make them like that, is anyones guess, seems stupid to me.

I think that may be to stop the cracking of the flanges as stainless is more brittle. These old boxers do wag alot and all that unsupported weight takes it's toll I guess

If the flanges were thicker like silversurfer posted then there would be no issue.

...I will keep an eye on the tuning side of things (standard 2E3 Pierburg) - thanks.
Kev, I reckon a good tip for anyone who is fettling one of these boxer engines, fitting new systems at such cost, would be to fit new engine mounting bushes at same time. I did this as a matter of course, when I refurbed the engine, and the difference was remarkable! As you said, lots of them shake themselves stupid, even if they are in tune, due to worn mounts.. Just my tuppence....
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288