High pressure in water coolant

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

08Kev
80-90 Mem No: 0

High pressure in water coolant

Post by 08Kev »

Hope someone out there can help me.

The engine is a 1.9 turbo diesel, When the engine is running at normal temperature, air pressure is being pumped out of the expansion tank and into the water resevoir, am I right in thinking that this shouldn't happen?, the cap is working as it should, the engine starts and runs ok, no smoke, the water in the resevoir is cold, no water in the oil, or visa versa.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Re: High pressure in water coolant

Post by Red Westie »

The expansion cap is set to around 2bar and under normal circumstances the system wouldn't reach this pressure. System pressure is generally a good thing as coolant under pressure boils at a higher temperature so can retain more heat without boiling.
However, excess pressure/bubbles in the coolant can be an indication of head gasket failure.
You could try a coolant pressure tester but I would be tempted to change the main pressure cap first to be sure it isn't opening too soon.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

08Kev

Post by 08Kev »

Thanks for your advice Martin, the cap and expansion tank is new and pretty sure it's working as it should, I have recently had a new head gasket fitted, van runs OK and doesn't seem to overheat, could it be something to do with the bleeding of the radiator which I have read about on this site.

t25darren
80-90 Mem No: 7051

Post by t25darren »

Hi There
Sounds like a head gasket to me--1.6 D? common problem, What gasaket was fitted and was the head checked for cracking?

Darren
1987 Westfalia Vanagon 2.1- been around the world and back!!!!!

jimbovw68

Post by jimbovw68 »

Hi
I had same problem high pressure in water system 1.9 petrol
I made a Head Gasket tester from a old blue delek expansion tank cap,some hose and a shot glass full of Tester Fluid
Tester Fluid £10 from Partco
Bubble the gasses through the fluid if it turns orange/yellow it indicates carbon dioxide gas in coolant

Please do not try this if engine is at pressure or hot,you will or may get burnt

08Kev

Post by 08Kev »

Thanks for all your replies, I'll try the tester fluid thing, at least it will narrow it down.

Cheers.