Fuel tank breather tube for T25

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

LisaK

Fuel tank breather tube for T25

Post by LisaK »

Hi there,

I have recently bought a 1990 T25 VW Transporter (2.1). Just before we were due to head off for 3 months in Europe, we filled up the tank and discovered a leak.

We have since been informed by our mechanic that the fuel tank breather tube has broken and needs replacing - however apparently it is no longer manufactured in the UK.

The part number I have been given is 251201147b which seems to only be available in the US.

Having had a search on the forum it seems that this is not an uncommon problem...I wondered if anyone knew of anywhere to get the part from, or if there are any alternative parts that can be used?

If anyone has any advice, would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Lisa

geordie skydiver
80-90 Mem No: 2988

Re: Fuel tank breather tube for T25

Post by geordie skydiver »

It's just standard fuel hose as far as I remember, I just bought some from Halfrauds, cut to length and replaced.

This might help.

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Fu ... ther_tanks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lee

Learn to skydive with me.... www.skydiveacademy.org.uk

LisaK

Post by LisaK »

Thanks Lee.

So (and please do forgive my lack of technical knowledge) we don't actually need an official VW part to replace the breather tube, we can just use fuel pipe?

I think our mechanic has done some sort of repair but he has said that he would be happier if we had the part, as as it stands he thinks it wouldn't be wise to completely fill the tank and we're a little concerned about the fumes that were coming out when it first broke...also worried that it might not hold for the three months we're away!

Thanks,
L

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

When you say breather are you refering to the metal pipes on the tank? the plastic ballance pipe that goes across the top of the tank OR the rubber hoses going to the tank and expansion bottles under the arches?

Overbraided rubber hose like this perhaps? 7mm is quite rare BTW.

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?o ... 0&Itemid=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx