Fierce Clutch

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Fierce Clutch

Post by CovKid »

Any idea how long my new clutch will take to bed in? The old one was getting close to the rivets so fitted a new clutch when I removed the transaxle last week to replace oil seals. The rather slippy nature of the old one made clutch work easy but the bite on the new one is totally unforgiving ranging from stalling to lurching away. What you reckon? 300 miles?
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: Fierce Clutch

Post by toomanytoys »

What were the ends of the release fork like? need to be nice and "rounded" , most that I have seen are flatted and need a dress with a file.. or if very worn a little weld bobbing on and dressing back.. nice smooth action then... :ok

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

i've never had to 'bed in' a new clutch before........ did you grease the splines on the input shaft? or maybe the slave cylinder is past its best and not re leasing smoothly?
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Hmmm, prospect of removing gearbox yet again does not enthuse me one bit. It could be that I've grown so used to the knackered one, the new one feels very different. I'll give it more of a thrashing before I look again at the clutch action. Could be slave though as you say. Its not undriveable, but perhaps having fresh grip on a brand new friction plate is what I'm experiencing and I need time to get used to it. Case of finding the biting point again perhaps.

On the positive side, at least I can hare up hills without that rise in engine speed now :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

RHINO79
80-90 Mem No: 5508

Post by RHINO79 »

What make was the clutch kit you fitted?

I own my garage and now refuse to fit GSF or EURO CAR PARTS cheap clutches as they are awfull very sharp and unusable, have had to the job for second time on two occasions!

So will now only fit LUK clutch kits will are a little more exspensive but so worth the extra cost!

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Its a LUK. Maybe its just having a slippy clutch for so long, I've forgotten what a real one is like :rofl

I'll get Chickenkoop to give it a try and see what he thinks as his is new too.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Ends of the actuator fork where it presses on the release bearing pads.. this will always give a poor action and odd characteristics, even seen a clutch locked so it wouldnt drive...

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

If anything....a worn clutch is more likely to be fierce as the wavey spring embedded in the friction plate tends to flatten with the result of less give.
A new clutch should be the opposite.. and give a very progressive engagement because this sping is new.
I'm also thinking release fork.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Bum. We'll I'll lurch around for a while and pick a warm and pleasant day to fetch gearbox down again and build up any worn areas of fork or replace it - can't say I noticed any wear though. Welding together a rear rock n roll bed at mo to replace the MDF affair thats in there :D

Thanks for pointers lads!

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Update: Gave it some serious work in heavy traffic in Coventry this evening and it seems to be operating almost normally. Only thing I can think of is fiction plate was just incredibly rough and needed a day or two to settle in. :D

armyphil
80-90 Mem No: 6328

Post by armyphil »

Got to love an easy fix
You can say alot of of things with "ar"

1984 syncro westfalia

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

I really hope that it is getting better.... these gearboxes dont get any lighter !!
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989