Steering

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kev706

Steering

Post by kev706 »

Afternoon all, Ive got a lot of back and forth movement on my steering wheel. Top and bottom are tight seems to be the column has play, are there any bushes on the column its self. Checked Haynes but no mention of bushes or how they could be changed. Thanks in advance.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Steering

Post by CovKid »

There is a bush at top (presumably one at the bottom). They are available but I remember having one made once by a guy on a lathe out of phosphor bronze to get a T25 through an MOT on a weekend many years ago.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Look at vagcat.com and view the Type 2 1979-1992 pages (that's T3, folks!) for steering/suspension.
All exploded diagrams and part nos. :ok
Just noticed that it may be down, judging by another post...VW may have blocked it.
Try http://etka.auto2.ru/?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the Russian one.

Bert2
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Bert2 »

When you say back and forth what exactly do you mean, I have just renewed most of my steering couplings track rod ends etc and the play I had has now disappeared I would advise everyone to check their steering couplings as I found 2 out of 3 of my couplings with bad splits which were causing most of my excess play, it would of been very bad if they had failed completely at speed, (well as fast as a 1983 1600 D can muster), with people putting wider wheels on vans increases system steering stress on old components so its worth having a quick look just to be on the safe side.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Those rag joints are always in a parlous state! They go to iron first, then split. They are a bit of a job to change too(lower column/relay box one is a pig) and less than glamourous, so never get looked at.
Not that cheap either, but it is the steering after all. Buy pukka VW ones at shows...

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

CovKid wrote:There is a bush at top (presumably one at the bottom). They are available but I remember having one made once by a guy on a lathe out of phosphor bronze to get a T25 through an MOT on a weekend many years ago.
Err...ball bearing at top (part of steering lock housing, not renewable - bin and replace) and another at bottom (renewable), mounted in a plastic carrier that should be glued to the tube.
Only know 'cos I refurbed one as part of my electric pas install. Good for another 20 years now!