1.6 Td performance

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

reddwarf
80-90 Mem No: 7960

1.6 Td performance

Post by reddwarf »

I have just bought a 1989 1.6Td California Hi Top. Our first VW.

So I am therefore unsure what performance I should expect.

Took it out for our first camping weekend and long run at the weekend.

Seem to get about 30 mpg, cruises happily at 60 - 65, will do just over 70 with the help of an incline
but runs out of puff on a long steep incline.

Was doing a long 1 in 8, albeit perhaps a little steeper at the top and she was starting to tire in 2nd.

Is this normal and therefore do I need to look to working on the engine or even changing it to, perhaps a 1.9 AAZ, as the van was bought with the expectation that we would drive her over the alps and down to Greece where there are certainly steeper hills than 1 in 8!

Any comments would be gratefully received.

donnieg
80-90 Mem No: 6323

Re: 1.6 Td performance

Post by donnieg »

Hi reddwarf I have a 1.6td and would not change it for a petrol my preferance though.I go to applecross quite a bit and there is a realy steep hill to climb and the van does it no bother i just change down gear before it starts to struggle and off she goes albeit in 2nd gear buy the time we reach the top.

Westy End
80-90 Mem No: 7733

Post by Westy End »

i too have a 1.6td - taken it from Lands end to John o groats (literally) with loads of kit and to the south of france with four of us on board. never missed a beat - just slowed and worked harder up the hills. whilst the engine is not like a modern engine with loads of torque and a good acceleration, if it is looked after it will get you there at camper speed. i wouldnt want to go any faster given i have a fridge full of food and a draw full of cutlery just behind me!

maybe its my age by a dependable diesel is more attractive than a more powerful petrol.
....========¬====¬
.../-/--|----||---\-----‴-----\
..#/__|__ ||__❚[\_____⌒ _\›
.|======|===[ ❑❑ΞⓦΞ❑❑]
[⎛⎞...|.....|⎛⎞ [ ‹=====›]
-⎝⎠\_|__ /⎝⎠ ⫅=====⫆⎠ (apologies to jed the spread)

horns
80-90 Mem No: 6743

Post by horns »

Westy End wrote:...maybe its my age by a dependable diesel is more attractive than a more powerful petrol.

Totally agree. Who wants to go fast in a van, anyway?
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD

reddwarf

Post by reddwarf »

Thanks guys, was always planning to stay with a heavy oil burner. Not too worried about the speed, just want to get there :D

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

reddwarf wrote:I have just bought a 1989 1.6Td

Seem to get about 30 mpg, cruises happily at 60 - 65, will do just over 70 with the help of an incline
but runs out of puff on a long steep incline.

perhaps a 1.9 AAZ

Interesting comment about 1.6TD fuel consumption and infact how close it is to a petrol (I get 25 out of my 2.1 MV petrol on a run).....most owners won't admit to getting low 30's from there rice burners and some owners maintain they get low 40's, I not so sure on that one.
All the engines are under powered, as others have said..you just drive in camper mode.
1.9AAZ is Diesel BTW not petrol...

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

reddwarf

Post by reddwarf »

Yes, you are of course correct. I had never considered changing to petrol. The AAZ lump which was fitted in the Golf, amongst others, was just a very easy upgrade option if I couldn't get the JX to handle the hills better.

Valid comment about petrol v diesel. I have owned many, and still own some, Land Rovers and Range Rovers. Mixture of petrol and diesel. The older engines gave roughly similar fuel consumption and whilst modern diesels are amazingly economical petrol engines are pretty much up there.

So it's a little about personal preference and swapping low end grunt for top end power.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

reddwarf wrote: Valid comment about petrol v diesel. I have owned many, and still own some, Land Rovers and Range Rovers. Mixture of petrol and diesel. The older engines gave roughly similar fuel consumption and whilst modern diesels are amazingly economical petrol engines are pretty much up there.

Our 2.1DJ camper does ~18-20mpg on petrol round here, 16 on lpg which gives us the equivalent £ for £ of 32mpg, or in other words the same as your diesel. Horses for courses :wink:

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

reddwarf

Post by reddwarf »

True enough, I think that's roughly what I said. Let's hope the incoming occupant of no 11 doesn't decide to take a bigger tax bite from lpg!

zander
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by zander »

Hi i have a 1.6TD on a run 440mile run back from Scotland i worked out i was getting around 34mpg sitting around the 65mph, Also drove about with a 125cc scooter on the back made no diffrence to the power, Over 65mph it will use more fuel but norm save that for overtaking.

caveman
80-90 Mem No: 4842

Post by caveman »

Good on your buy. If you don't have a tach, i would definitely think of getting one.Also if you want to optimize your perfomance check out : http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Holydiver
80-90 Mem No: 2605

Post by Holydiver »

Hi too have a 1.6td
and have now done Scottland twice from Bristol, I always get around 45MPG driving at 60mph, 70-75 is about flat out but only ever drive between 60-65
Mind you mines a poptop so less drag.

I did the applecross road last year and bloody hell it's steep but made it no probs, brakes were smoking at the bottom
Atlantic westy 91, Golf mk1 cabrio and looking to add a syncro to the list :-)

reddwarf

Post by reddwarf »

Thanks Caveman, have already got a tacho on mine and have followed your link. Very good. Thanks :D

Sbbfuk, can believe the speed with a pop top but the mpg is amazing. What have you done to your motor :?:

horns
80-90 Mem No: 6743

Post by horns »

45mpg?

Either you've found a route that's entirely downhill, or your maths is somewhat suspect...
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I agree with horns, I've just checked my log and I'm averaging about 8 litres/100km or about 36mpg.
That's fully loaded with 2 adults and over inflated tyres.
45mpg is extraordinary.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l