Alternator is crazy?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Macflai
80-90 Mem No: 4201

Alternator is crazy?

Post by Macflai »

A week ago I was watching while driving alternator light in the panel was lightly flashing... I tought "voltage regulator"... Now I see the counter revs like crazy and the alternator light flashing for several seconds... I am still think "voltage regulator"...

Batteries (2, one of 72 Ah and the small one inside 60Ah) are new. Belts are nicely tightened...

Do I think correctly?
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

NOT ANOTHER LEAK
80-90 Mem No: 2272

Post by NOT ANOTHER LEAK »

put a meter acoss battery terminals with engine off voltage should read about 12.5v,turn engine over and rev to about 2000revs voltage should now read about 14v-14.5v
if not voltage regulator probablly gone.
if the voltage drops in your battery when the the engine is turned off then its the rectifiyer thats gone
tonytech knows more than me about these so you could try to pm him
richard member no 2278
sorry son no screwballs left

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

I know nothing.. :D

You dont say if you have a petrol or oil burner?

Usualy Alternator light is on or off not flashing Was it a regular flash or 'dodgy connection' flash.

I cant see the rev counter being effected by the voltage reg on a petrol engine, but diesel alternators are differant.

I'd start by checking if the battery is being correctly charged as Not Another Leak surgests. Then look at the connections on the dashboard.

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

Macflai
80-90 Mem No: 4201

Post by Macflai »

I have checked all in the alternator and it is ok... the voltage regulator carbons looks okay and they are quite big yet... The rest of the wires are clean but I am still thinking about that v. regulator... maybe it looks like new but I think is not so okay... Will it be expensive?
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands