Heater .....

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

blu trukkie
80-90 Mem No: 482

Heater .....

Post by blu trukkie »

Has anyone managed to replace the fan/motor unit in their vans heater ???? ........... does it trash the heater casing trying to get it apart, or is there a way around it???? Mine is totally foobah'ed, and I have found this, Ebay 300348936971, and it just may be the way out for me. Our van is an 87 panel, if it makes a difference.

Cheers.
My doctor asked if any members of my family suffered from insanity, I replied, Hell no, we all kinda enjoy it.

Shoot low boys ..... they're ridin' Shetland Ponies.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Heater .....

Post by Ian Hulley »

blu trukkie wrote:Has anyone managed to replace the fan/motor unit in their vans heater ???? ........... does it trash the heater casing trying to get it apart, or is there a way around it???? Mine is totally foobah'ed, and I have found this, Ebay 300348936971, and it just may be the way out for me. Our van is an 87 panel, if it makes a difference.

Cheers.

Hiya mate :ok There's a great link in the wiki ... I've read it cos our's is noisy too.

Here ya go old chum ... http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Co ... eplacement

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

T-3PO
80-90 Mem No: 4766

Post by T-3PO »

I asked the same question about a month ago as all evidence says no it isn't possible to open it without breaking it! It looks like the casing has been plastic "welded" together which in that case would need something like a really hot knife to cut through the "welds".

Great and useful as the Wiki maybe there's nothing in there about taking it apart :( But if someone with a spare fan housing and lots of spare time fancies trying it ......................... :mrgreen:
We're doomed!

blu trukkie

Post by blu trukkie »

Thanks Ian matiedude for the link.

I changed the heater a few years ago, with a secondhand one, which was ok, but recently, I would turn the fan/motor on to demist, and after about 1 or 2 minutes it would slow, rattle'ish, then stop, and refuse to go for sometime. After reading the Wiki, what is the thoughts of the panel, do they think its seizing, (and stopping), then cooling, ( and going till it gets hot and stops) ......... or is it foobah'ed.

Thanks for any input.
:ok
My doctor asked if any members of my family suffered from insanity, I replied, Hell no, we all kinda enjoy it.

campervanman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by campervanman »

Took the heater casing apart on my '88 1.9 petrol.
The welding can be cut by running a sharp knife around the joint, keeping a steady, twisting, pressure with a broad bladed screwdriver at the same time. Keep going round until, eventually it will come apart. Replaced motor with one from my spares vehicle which had clips holding casing together. Used these clips to hold my original casing together - could not use the casing out of the spares vehicle as the heater outlet arrangements were different. Spares vehicle was an '86 diesel pickup, since gone to the great parking lot in the sky.

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

the casings are the same on all petrol water cooled year vans for petrol and diesel

early diesels , Aircooled petrol era are different

however on caravelles/minibusses with rear roof vents there is an extra flap,and slider control to allow cold air into the crossmember running the width of the van in front of your knee when driving . this is blanked off in vans /pickups.

also pre 86 ish water cooled vans allowed cold only heat to the rear facing side vents , hot on later vans.
if you look at the side of the heater box there are 2 2.5 ish inch outlets, 1 set is blocked off depending on the year.

all are interchangeable tho.

as in previous posts some early hosings were clipped together , the later ones glued, or 'heatwelded' this can be prized apart , slowly but definatly.

mike_gee32
80-90 Mem No: 455

Post by mike_gee32 »

also pre 86 ish water cooled vans allowed cold only heat to the rear facing side vents , hot on later vans.
if you look at the side of the heater box there are 2 2.5 ish inch outlets, 1 set is blocked off depending on the year.

all are interchangeable tho.

Does that mean I could get warm air coming out of the side vents on my 84 caravelle?

The fan has siezed so I've got to take it out soon, is it as easy as cutting holes in the blocked outlets and blocking the ones the vents are currently connected to?

Don't suppose anyone has got pics of the two types?

Mike
Member no. 455

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

yes thats correct, or you can go the other way!

i opened up the cold vents on my later camper and blocked the hot , was much nicer driving arouind spain in the summer!

chickenkoop
80-90 Mem No: 2180

Post by chickenkoop »

hi blu trekkie, hope you get your heater sorted. but its "fubar" fecked up be-on all rec,
H.REG WESTY CALIFORNIA 1.6TD

meridian911
80-90 Mem No: 7372

Post by meridian911 »

just done mine, you can prise the plastic tabs apart with a sharp chisel the hardest part is unscrewing the screws that hold the heater box to the van body(the front 2 are probably rusted as the bottom bit is open to the elemements behind the front grill. If you cant find the clips to clip the two halves back together then you can drill the tabs with a 1/8th drill bit and self tapping screw back together. :wink: one tip tho is dont buy a cheap replacement as they vibrate on setting 3.

blu trukkie

Post by blu trukkie »

Thanks for all the helpfull comments, shall send for a new motor/fan shortly .................... am looking forward to it already ............... NOT!!!!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

In the WIKI I list all the vehicles that use that blower so scrapyards may be an option although I've often seen it sold new on ebay.

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Co ... eplacement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh and Rob, I'm around tomorrow. Your boys pal is with me :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.