Diesel--desperate help needed please !

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Snag20
80-90 Mem No: 5210

Diesel--desperate help needed please !

Post by Snag20 »

Got a 1.9T/D AAZ, T25, using the 1.6 T/D flywheel. with no smoking issues

run OK till cam bet tensioner ceased. belt failure, bent valves. smashed cam buckets etc. but block/pistons OK.

Have put on a replacement head, tensioner and belt
Have timed in the cam. and the diesel pump at 0.95mm TDC

Starts OK, even without glo-plugs on, better than it ever used to.
Runs on tickover OK
Smokes a lot, grey/brown when driving along.
Seemed down on power on way to VanFest
Throwing water out of header tank when driving plus about 30 secs afetr engine switched off.

Have changed the injectors-NO difference

Starting to doubt myself now !!

I am going to re-set all of the timing again.

Is TDC mark on flywheel actually TDC of before TDC as when head was off, the pistons were not quite at TDC, 1 and 4, when timing mark lined up. About 5mm past timming mark when pistons were actually at the top ??????

Am I using the wrong mark on the flywheel ? what does it look like ???

Water prob could be an unrelated airlock issue ???

Any other ideas gratefully received as Im now getting fed up with this and want to go OktoberFest.

cheers

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Re: Diesel--desperate help needed please !

Post by fullsunian »

Hi, are the valve guides ok? Could be damaged when the valves were bent...maybe. It would make it smoke :shock: Wouldn't make it throw coolant out though..More likely to be pump timing me thinks..
Long shot I know..
IAN
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

SplendiferousII
80-90 Mem No: 2893

Post by SplendiferousII »

The timing mark on my 1.6na flywheel is on the Clutch Pressure Plate not the flywheel. I turned the engine over and over searching for a mark until I found a photo on here (will search)

It’s a blooming great big notch you cannot miss it once you know where to look.

Your bottom pulley has not moved has it?

Snag20

Post by Snag20 »

No disrespect to my wife and others but a bit of a blonde moment ( especially as Im foliclly challenged )

I checked last nite and to my horror I have used a wrong mark on the flywheel/clutch assembly, about 1.5 " from the correct one. Im surprised it even ran. I have now corrected my crank to cam timming and plan to correct the diesel pump timing tonite.

hopefully all will be well

cheers
T

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

im thinking of changing the belt on mine soon,but i have no idea how to go about the timing ,so a complete idiots guide as to how its done would be appreciated :ok .
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

Grumpy Midget

Post by Grumpy Midget »

weldore wrote:im thinking of changing the belt on mine soon,but i have no idea how to go about the timing ,so a complete idiots guide as to how its done would be appreciated :ok .

Ask Meagles. (Keith) He is the Deisel Guru. Now that he has all the informative matterial, that I gave him at the Rainton W/End He should be able to do it for you,
And you can watch and learn ------------------------ :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Weldore, don't be so harsh on yourself. You could not possibly be described as a complete idiot. Half-wit yes, but a whole, complete idiot - no way :lol:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

weldore

Post by weldore »

cheers covkid..i feel so much better about myself now :lol:

cheers GM ill get intouch with him when i get the kit :ok

Snag20

Post by Snag20 »

Well all is good now.

sorted out pump timming, ran out of adjustment so had to move cam belt around a notch on the pump pulley just to aggrevate me a bit more.
Set the timming to 0.9mm at TDC.

Thanks to SplendiferousII for popping around as a morale boost and to see if I was OK.

Used the van for work this morning and all smoke issues have gone, Probably the best it has ever driven, much more responsive than even before the original cam tensioner/belt failure.
cheers
T

SplendiferousII
80-90 Mem No: 2893

Post by SplendiferousII »

Excellent

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Post by peteabbott »

I found that you can actually find TDC by removing either the hot plug or injector on No.1 and with a bent bit of stiff wire poked in the hole you can feel for TDC. Then Weldore me old mate, lock the camshaft (slotted on the end) with the appropriate thickness bit of plate, woh, be carefull, the slot is offset but you will know its right because the cam lobes on No.1 will be uppermost........still with me ? Then lock the pump pulley with a nicely fitted pin or twist drill through t hole through pulley into casting. If you buy a cambelt kit you will get a new tensioner and as previously mentioned they do give up and muchos pennies to repair. Jees I hope I am not teaching you to suck eggs mate. Anyway I,ve started so I will finnish. Spanner it over a couple of revs when the new bits are all nicely on and recheck all the marks. OK innit.
Pete Abbott

weldore

Post by weldore »

ive done petrol and diesel before with locking off but it was the guage thing in the end of the pump that ive never done..just to make sure the timing is correct /bang on.its just sumats i need to do once to find out how it all works then ill be clued up..just one of them jobs ive not tackled yet.but...i like the cut the belt along its length thing then slide the new one on and remove the last of the old one after thing that someone mentioned on here somewhere...but you dont get to swap ya tensioner that way :?
when i do get round to it your fingers will be sore pete and you might need a new keyboard :ok