Overheating above 40mph (1.6 Diesel)

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

Re: Overheating above 40mph (1.6 Diesel)

Post by meggles »

Mrs

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Post by peteabbott »

Now I am impressed Oldiebut. Wife is Maria and son is Daniel. Got any racing tips ?
Pete Abbott

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

No, just a very devious and inquiring mind!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Post by peteabbott »

Sorry to steal this thread but it is all connected with the same interest. So here are the points from the Ipswich jury..............
Craftsman coach finnisher Arthur says and I quote " it was Masons coach enamel with approx 20% varnish added and pick a good day early morning start when the sun is not too hot. Work the roller well to saturate with paint (less air) apply paint then lightly roll over to remove any bubbles.
3" sponge type roller, not fleecy. Use a soft brush to edge in around windows a bit at a time so you can blend in with the roller because if you dont, where the brush and roller edges meet will not look nice". Masons coach enamel will also make a nice job of fibreglass. Preperation is important.
So there you go boys, mine up close does look a bit orange peely and Arthur said I should have let him do it as with a bit more care it could have been better errrrr thanks Arthur I am happy with it. And just a note it does take a good couple of weeks to really harden off, Good luck men, did mine and the fibreglass top for less than £70.......what orange peel ?
Pete Abbott

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks for that Pete. Every bit of help is much appreciated. Maybe this should now go into the tech bit "paint your van with a roller"
Mods?

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

nce one pete..that reflects with covkids painting advice..the varnish thing is a very good idea...now when can arthur do mine :mrgreen:
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

dannymondo
80-90 Mem No: 9506

Post by dannymondo »

I have a 1.6 diesel which is overheating as well, thermostat ok , 2 month old waterpump. After driving up steep hills or driving fast cooling system overheats and bubbles over out of overflow tank. Tried KSeal just in case its head/gasket , but didnt work. Any light on the matter folks.
Also anyone got any pics of hand painted t25s ( a la roller and coach paint jobby )

muchas thankyous

Danny

Dubwana
80-90 Mem No: 5528
Location: Eldoret, Great Eastern Rift, Kenya (or thereabouts)

Post by Dubwana »

Hi Danny:

If you van is boiling water out of the expansion tank there is excessive pressure in the system. When that happened to me it was because the cylinder head was cracked and allowing pressure to build up. That in turn created an air bubble that blocked the radiator system. A nasty scenerio I know but it was only solved for me by a new engine, though a cylinder head would of done it but I could not find one to fit my engine. Can you check the temperature of the radiator by slipping your hand behind the grill, or removing it. If its cold when the engine is boiling it means the water is not circulating. That could be (best case) blocked radiator, or worst case a blown cyinder head gasket or head causing an air lock. A DIY check on the radiator is to stick a hose pipe in pipe going to the front from the engine end and see if it gushes out the return pipe, it will cost you all your coolant but you'll have a rough idea if the radiator is blocked. If its something small fix it fast as it will quickly destroy the head if you seriously overheat. If its not something else obvious you will most likely have to take your head off to physically examine it.

Sorry to have so many negative things to say but when it happened to me the head was blown. I hope yours is better news.

I'm sitting in Toronto Airport about to fly to London. Hope it doesn't happen to the 747 on the way over.

Leon
5528 1.6D '81
Dubwana: A Swahili monster...to push start
Bwana: A Swahili gentleman...when it works

Dubwana

Post by Dubwana »

Hi Danny:

If you van is boiling water out of the expansion tank there is excessive pressure in the system. When that happened to me it was because the cylinder head was cracked and allowing pressure to build up. That in turn created an air bubble that blocked the radiator system. A nasty scenerio I know but it was only solved for me by a new engine, though a cylinder head would of done it but I could not find one to fit my engine. Can you check the temperature of the radiator by slipping your hand behind the grill, or removing it. If its cold when the engine is boiling it means the water is not circulating. That could be (best case) blocked radiator, or worst case a blown cyinder head gasket or head causing an air lock. A DIY check on the radiator is to stick a hose pipe in pipe going to the front from the engine end and see if it gushes out the return pipe, it will cost you all your coolant but you'll have a rough idea if the radiator is blocked. If its something small fix it fast as it will quickly destroy the head if you seriously overheat. If its not something else obvious you will most likely have to take your head off to physically examine it.

Sorry to have so many negative things to say but when it happened to me the head was blown. I hope yours is better news.

I'm sitting in Toronto Airport about to fly to London. Hope it doesn't happen to the 747 on the way over.

Leon
5528 1.6D '81

dannymondo

Post by dannymondo »

Cheers for response Leon
Will try and check radiator this week, but you could well be right about the cylinder head / gasket. happy flyin.

Danny

weldore

Post by weldore »

if you suspect the head then take it to somewhere for a water test,they will tell you if your getting gasses from the combustion chamber into the water :ok

dannymondo

Post by dannymondo »

cheers weldore
A chap from Munich Campers here in Brighton gonna have a look next week , hopefully it aint ugly.

gracias

Danny

weldore

Post by weldore »

good luck chap :ok

dannymondo

Post by dannymondo »

latest update on overheating bus
Coolant been drained and refilled , mechanic noticed that the cap on the main coolant reservoir had a perished washer ( the bit below the spring on the cap ) which in turn was interfering with the pressurised cooling system. Renewed cap , everything seems to be fine now , will give bus a longer journey tomorrow to test further.

adios

Dubwana

Post by Dubwana »

'ope it goes well
5528 1.6D '81