Crisis ..............

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

blu trukkie
80-90 Mem No: 482

Crisis ..............

Post by blu trukkie »

Does anyone know how long the bolts are, that hold the main alternator bracket onto the engine block on 1.9 DG. This is the bracket with 2 m8 bolts under the bracket over hang. Both of mine have sheared off, so I have to try and drill and tap them out, and dont want to go through the water liner.

Thanks in anticipation.
My doctor asked if any members of my family suffered from insanity, I replied, Hell no, we all kinda enjoy it.

Shoot low boys ..... they're ridin' Shetland Ponies.

Steve T
80-90 Mem No: 5058

Re: Crisis ..............

Post by Steve T »

When you drill the hole for the stud extractor, drill just deep enough for the extractor to bite, but would think that the bolt would not be in deep enough to touch anything close to the water jacket so when you drill you would know when you reached the end of the bolt, there is bound to be a deeper hole than the bolt would go in if you get what I mean. Perhaps some one will post an exact answer if they had this off recently. hope this may be of help if all else fails

Steve
1984 1.9 DG Holdsworth Hi-Top

Tug

Post by Tug »

Hi,

I have removed sheered bolts before by Mig welding (very quickly) a Nut to the top of the sheared bolt. This has worked on occasion to remove bolts.

Glenn. :ok
Life is not a rehearsal...Live life to the max....Buy a Aircooled VW and get covered in Rust and Oil.......But we all love it really....!!

Steve T
80-90 Mem No: 5058

Post by Steve T »

Just checked the vagcat site and actually shows them as studs....... possible part number 034903555B ???? it is not numbered so is just a guess, also no size or description as to what it relates to. If it is a stud would think it equall length, screwed into the block as protruding. but may go full depth

Steve
1984 1.9 DG Holdsworth Hi-Top

blu trukkie
80-90 Mem No: 482

Post by blu trukkie »

Thanks for all the help. they are bolts in my van, and sadly, they have broken off, under flush, just to make thinks more of a pain. I bought some screw extractors today, but have to wait till monday, to get my angle drill from work.

Hopefully will get there without having to pull the engine, as I need the van next weekend.
My doctor asked if any members of my family suffered from insanity, I replied, Hell no, we all kinda enjoy it.

Shoot low boys ..... they're ridin' Shetland Ponies.