van won't start, pls help

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kathyshack
80-90 Mem No: 1242

van won't start, pls help

Post by kathyshack »

I've just driven THE back from from manchester to bolton, and as i go there the van cutout. I tried restarting it, it struggled but started eventually. just been back out again, but it won't start now. battery sounds flat. how could the battery be flat after an hours drive?
any ideas?
kathy
Member no: 1242

Learning something new every day!

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

www.funplace2b.co.uk/camp

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

got the AA out - (took em 2.5 hours to get here! - glad i wasn't on a motorway on my own). It started for them alright, but he said the battery wasn't charging on tickover, but was on reving. (it was around 13 amps though even when he said it wasn't charging, so wasn't flat) Then it suddenly started working again. He checked THE earth on THE gearbox too and said this was ok. he looked at THE alternator and said it was working. The van has since started, but kind of sounds likes its struggling then sort of squeeks and fires up. Any ideas what this could be?
he suggested my leisure battery could be draining too much from my alternator? Does this sound feasible? I've had the leisure battery installed for about 18 months now and its never gone anywhere near flat or given me any problems at all....

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Tkae the fuse out of the split charge system for a day or two, see what happens...... it is possible the split charge relay is "leaking", but unlikely....
it is more like the brushpack on the alternator is on its way out.......

BUT is the cutting out and the not starting the same fault?

because the voltage would have to be below 10vdc for the engine to cut out- thats a very flat battery, and nothing would have happened when the key was turned after.....so, have you got two faults, and the starter one of them.....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

cheers for reply Mocki.

Yeah THE van has been cutting out a bit for a while now, mainlt after a long drive, and after you slow right down or stop, but its having a service on tuesday, so we think this will hopefully cure this problem. I think you're right, that there are 2 problems really.

how difficult is it to change the brushpack on the alternator? Does it take long if you know what you're doing? Are they easy to get hold of?

the voltage of THE battery when the aa man put the volt meter on was slightly above 13 volts, so battery wasn't flat.

Does the alternator just charge the battery when you're driving, or does it help you start up aswell? When starting up it sounds like the battery is flat, but then fires up but then with a nother noise, posiibly a squeek. ( i'm rubbish at describing sounds). Do you think i could have a problem with the starter motor aswell, or does it all just sound like the alternator brushes?
Thanks in advance,
kathy

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

badger
80-90 Mem No: 2025

Post by badger »

How old is the battery? Sounds like it might be on it's last legs - had a similar problem a few years ago.
89 California TD

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

the squeek sounds like loose or worn "fan belt", get a new one!

The alternator charges the battery, thats all it does to help start the van......

The brush pack is easy to change, just two screws, and you dont need to remove the alternator to do it, BUT change the fan belt first.....see if that improves things

Sounds like the starter maybe on its way out, unless you have changed the ignition timing recently....

Cutting out after a long run - how long since you changed the air filter plugs leads ect???? service should cure that?????
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

Thanks again for replies!
Battery is 18 months old, so should be alright. (its got a 3 year warranty on it)
the squeek is probably the wrong word. It doesn't sound like the fan belt type squeek. I'll ask Steve to look at it when he services my van on Tuesday. I'm pretty crap at describing noises and stuff.
Cheers again Mocki n Badger for your replies. I always start to panic when things go wrong with the van, nice just to be able to speak to poeple about it on here :D

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

Just so you know, the problem with the starting turned out to be a problem with the starter motor bush where it connected to the gearbox. It had worn through. A new one and it was back working again ;-)
Thanks to steve 80-90 for sussing that one out for us!
Woo Hoo :D

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw