BLOWN ENGINE - IDEAS PLEASE.

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ANDKAT
80-90 Mem No: 2587

BLOWN ENGINE - IDEAS PLEASE.

Post by ANDKAT »

Hi all,
Normally i'm a bit of a lurker but this time I need to come into public view. :oops:

Came home tonight to find steam pouring out the back of the van on checking I found one of the head bolts had sheared off and was spewing water everywhere :twisted: ....I guess I was lucky to get home!!
Would I be able to use plumbers mate welding compound to secre it and hope for the best ? or is that just wishful thinking?? :lol:

If this is not practical what options do i have? apart from a piece of rope and a long drop.
Do you have any engine recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Andy
Life would be boring if it wasn't for the kids.....Does anyone want my four so I can be bored!!

Member No. 2587

1985 1.9 Caravelle

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Post by Fritz »

If a head bolt has sheared off it is knackered, so time to find a good replacement engine.....

Regards
Fritz,,,,,,,,
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....

ANDKAT

Post by ANDKAT »

Hi Fritz
Should have said the bolt has sheared off right at the top, would it be possible to remove the head and possibly work it loose with a set of molegrips?
Life would be boring if it wasn't for the kids.....Does anyone want my four so I can be bored!!

Member No. 2587

1985 1.9 Caravelle

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

1 word of advice ....... ELITE :wink:

night night :twisted:

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

How old? has it ever been apart in the recent past? if old original and never been apert, dont bother.. you aint gonna fix it in the van and at best it will be a total pain.. once you have it out and start dissmantling otherscould shear and then more hassle comes..

As said.. Elite are as cheap as it gets and seem to stand by there work..

Balaclava
80-90 Mem No: 2599

Post by Balaclava »

Elite? Who are they?
I need a new engine put in my van but I haven't a clue how to go about it. I'm in Kilburn, NW London.

bartlby bus
80-90 Mem No: 4001

Post by bartlby bus »

i have a recon from elite its nearly a year since fitting and seems to be fine
good service too

and they are close to you too

heres the link

http://www.elitevw.com/

Balaclava
80-90 Mem No: 2599

Post by Balaclava »

Thanks for that. I've just called them.They will pick up the van for free but they want £1,100 for a recon engine, they do all the fitting etc.

Mine's a B reg, (actually slightly newer engine) deisel, 1.6, turbo charged.

The worn cambelt slipped and more than likely the pistons are buggered.

The rest of the van is pretty basic. I've stripped everything out and throw in a mattress when I go camping plus a portable stove. I use it for work.
Body is reasonable, good tyres, passed it's last MOT no problem.

I thought it would be a bit cheaper. When I bought the van three years ago it cost me £900.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Balaclava wrote:Thanks for that. I've just called them.They will pick up the van for free but they want £1,100 for a recon engine, they do all the fitting etc.

Mine's a B reg, (actually slightly newer engine) deisel, 1.6, turbo charged.

The worn cambelt slipped and more than likely the pistons are buggered.

The rest of the van is pretty basic. I've stripped everything out and throw in a mattress when I go camping plus a portable stove. I use it for work.
Body is reasonable, good tyres, passed it's last MOT no problem.

I thought it would be a bit cheaper. When I bought the van three years ago it cost me £900.
I have a 1.6td Engine block & cylinder head JR engine code removed from a M2 golf but was fitted to my T25.Hydralulic tappets not shimmed.It still okay but needs a oil pump.Handy for some one to get out of trouble & on the road.Its on the for sale forum .

ANDKAT

Post by ANDKAT »

Thanks for your replies,
I phoned elite this morning and spoke to a really helpful chap who said they could do it for £900. Just one small problem i'm about £850 short at the minute!

I presume then that changing the studs is not really the sort of operation I could do on the side of the road at home?
I did manage to get the nut off the broken bit of stud really easily, would this not apply for all the studs or is this again wishful thinking.

I guess i'm trying to save myself about 1000 hours of overtime to pay for this.

Member No. 2587

1985 1.9 Caravelle

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Getting the nuts off isnt the problem.. its getting the studs out of the case that is..
Lots of time and effort.. and cash on parts.. and if you dont put it together properly you will be in trouble very quickly.. Maybe there is a good second hand engine from one of the breakers on here... but even then its a risk factor... it may last 5 years, 5 months, 5 days.....

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet..

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

Andkat, you did not say what type of engine you have, it is surely worth removing the head to see if the head-bolt can be removed before you go down the replacement engine road. I know wages are bad on the Island but 1000 hours overtime at 90p per hour :D

ANDKAT

Post by ANDKAT »

Hi Kit
Should have said it's a 1.9 dg watercooled 1985 engine with 94500 on the clock.

90p an hour!! can I really get that much?

Member No. 2587

1985 1.9 Caravelle