diesel engine tuning

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

diesel engine tuning

Post by airhead »

The engine in my van is a 1588cc turbocharged mechanically injected diesel engine which puts out 70bhp. Not a lot when you consider the van weighs 1900kgs and the engine has a 4 wheel drive drivetrain to turn as well. Consequently, its not much faster than a bay. It has decent torque which is great off road but a bit of take-off would be nice as well. Now I know its possible to do various modifications to the engine to get more power out of it, such as increasing turbo pressure, fitting an intercooler, modifying the injector pump or even boring out the engine. Really its the idea of modifying the injector pump and fitting an intercooler that interests me the most. I know 100bhp isnt beyond the realms of possibility. What are my options here? Is there any places wthat I can bring the injector pump to and ask them to beef it up or even places where I can bring the van for a day or 2? Also, what are the options re intercoolers? Bernd Jaeger is charging ludicrous money for intercoolers. I dont want to spend that much. Anyone any ideas?

TD
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by TD »

Hi
I know I won't be much use, but I reckon this engine is already OTT for the van, getting anymore out of it would shorten it's life to that of a mayfly!
mine went to about 108k in normal use but if you got more out of it it would be much shorter, perhaps sweeter?
It needs a far bigger lump to be successful? :run
Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.
Member LX

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

AAZ 1.9TD engine sounds your best option - have look in the modified engine forum.

Are you from Dublin sort of way - same name on JK?
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

Hmm, well the thing is, the engine runs beautifully. The van only has 41k miles on it so it would do, so I really dont think replacing the engine is an option at this early stage. Thats why modifying was my first consideration. Even if I could just get an intercooler, Id be happy. I would probably try and get a long thin one that I could put in the air vent and maybe put a fan on it too.

@ Louie: Yeah thats me on JK. I havent been on much because I only have internet access in work and being on forums is very bold indeed! I live in Dublin city btw.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The intercooler will help a little with power but probably more with efficiency (more mpg etc)... you'll need to put more fuel in and more boost pressure to get more power.

Simon Cooper at Central VW/Audi is a dab hand at tuning TD motors. You can get him on 0151 355 1246. He's usually more than happy to talk to you and give you some ideas on how to extract more power :D
http://www.centralvwaudi.com/

MG

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

If not hope you find somewhere in Dublin - BUT don't go anywhere near Derek Beham Motors (can't remember the area) but they are a bunch of cowboys - I have proof!!!
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Im just building a hybrid pump at the moment for my 1.6 TD.
Start with oil cooler and intercooler first, then start messing.
Loads of stuff to do to the pump, most of it DIY.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

MacWilliam
80-90 Mem No: 1871

Post by MacWilliam »

You might learn something there http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/index.php as well... :D