knakered 1.9td engine in pickup

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hogseye

knakered 1.9td engine in pickup

Post by hogseye »

Right this is it i'm bitting the bullet this weekend. Diesel pump is pissing out diesel and the engine uses over a litre of oil every 400 miles, then the other day lots of oil spots appeared over the rear of my pickup.

It does leak some oil but cant be leaking that much :shock: It doesn't smoke from the rear when i'm followed but the oil must be going somewhere.

I'm after your thoughts, i'm thinking of compression testing the engine first before i remove it, if that is good could it be the turbo fooked, anyone had the same problem? its a 1.9td aaz engine don't know it history or mileage was already fitted, it pulls very well even with a slipping clutch (pesky oil leak)

it's coming out whatever to do diesel pump and clutch and oil leaks but i don't want to strip it down if i don't need to, any obvious way to see if turbo is at fault?

cheers nick

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

I surpose check for leaking turbo oil pipes - a mate overlooked that initally but quickly found it was an easy way for an engine to use a hell of alot of oil! Might not seem too bad when parked but have a look when the engine is running and it could be a different matter.

While the engine is out have a look inside the exhaust and inlet pipeing - if its full of oil the turbo seals have probubly had it.
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

futurecut
80-90 Mem No: 2407

Post by futurecut »

if the turbos fooked it prob wouldnt pull that well or youd at least notice it.

hogseye

Post by hogseye »

asked a mechanic mate, he reckons it's probably the oil scrapper rings gummed up, suggested kill or cure method with an engine flush then change oil and filter then add a fortifier with new oil. Think i'm going to go for it but may kill my engine if it dis-logges lots of "pooh" and blocks an oil way :shock:

hogseye

Post by hogseye »

thats strange you type in s h i t and it comes out as pooh

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

hogseye wrote:asked a mechanic mate, he reckons it's probably the oil scrapper rings gummed up, suggested kill or cure method with an engine flush then change oil and filter then add a fortifier with new oil. Think i'm going to go for it but may kill my engine if it dis-logges lots of "pooh" and blocks an oil way :shock:

Has it ever had a broken timing belt?

It won't be gummed oil rings.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Personally I would stay clear of flush...

I ran two or three tins of cheap oil about 50miles each and changed it until it was clear...then popped in the good stuff.

as you say flush will dislodge stuff that will clog filters and gauzes...

just another way
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

just remove air intake pipe from turbo. if turbo is knackered or exces worn then there will be oil in there.

andysimpson

Post by andysimpson »

big red bus wrote:just remove air intake pipe from turbo. if turbo is knackered or exces worn then there will be oil in there.

Oil will be there on a healthy engine.

hogseye

Post by hogseye »

don't know about a broken timing belt but don't know what difference that would make :? the weirdest part is that there is no smoke from the rear unless you floor it, but then all diesels smoke when you floor them. will run it up tomorow and look at pipes

andysimpson

Post by andysimpson »

hogseye wrote:don't know about a broken timing belt but don't know what difference that would make :? the weirdest part is that there is no smoke from the rear unless you floor it, but then all diesels smoke when you floor them. will run it up tomorow and look at pipes

Broken timing belts on all the 1.9 idi engines almost always results in piston damage and then the rings can not move properly.

hogseye

Post by hogseye »

flushed engine today, new oil and additive now got to do some miles (although diesel pump is gushing out!) see if it still uses gallons of oil. if it does then looks like i will be checking those pesky piston rings etc

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

My AAZ engine has exactly these symptoms. Returned about 30mpg on a recent trip to the Lake District (from Bucks) but only about 400mpl on the oil.

I am interested in Andy Simpson's comments about broken timing belts and piston damage - are you able to explain that a little more please Andy? I presume the valves must hit the pistons on the edge? Is there any way, short of dismantling, which could check for that damage?

thanks

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

My AAZ engine has exactly these symptoms. Returned about 30mpg on a recent trip to the Lake District (from Bucks) but only about 400mpl on the oil.

I am interested in Andy Simpson's comments about broken timing belts and piston damage - are you able to explain that a little more please Andy? I presume the valves must hit the pistons on the edge? Is there any way, short of dismantling, which could check for that damage?

thanks

Garyd

hogseye

Post by hogseye »

had a moment this morning the oil light and buzzer came on, but then went off again hadn't done that before the engine flush :shock: trying to clock some miles up to check oil level. this was only doing about 33mpg on a run which compared to the diesel campers on here surprised me. will let you know if the flush achieved anything over next couple of days