Engine probably knackered, now what?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Balaclava
80-90 Mem No: 2599

Engine probably knackered, now what?

Post by Balaclava »

I posted a while ago how my timer belt slipped on the way back from a trip to Scotland and the AA brought the old van back to London. The engine was making an awful clattering noise when I switched it on. Some people suggested I might have screwed up the timing or a tooth might have slipped out or whatever. It could have done the engine in or it might just need the timing adjusted.

Well I have made various enquiries at different garages.They all suggest bring it in. It's a hassle for me to get it towed. I can't do the work myself. Don't know where to begin. I've been told it a lot of hard work to just get at the part that needs working on. I could have a new engine put in. A Golf maybe. A couple of garages have quoted around £600 tom getthe engine fixed. I can't afford that just now or in the near future.

What to do? The van is in good nick except for the engine which some enterprising individual may be able to fix. New tyres, taxed, very little rust. Empty interior, no units or sink or fridge etc. No bed just space.

[IMG:240:180]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/ ... B6684B.jpg[/img]

I think I'll sell it as is. Any offers?

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

Is it a 1.6 or1.7 or 1.9?

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

1.6 turbo, B reg, deisel, water cooled.

fergus77
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by fergus77 »

fix it...

pull the head off it and see whats what.

you'll be able to check the timing before doing the head work but def have a go at it.

I just rebuilt the top half of my engine, and the van i bought not knowing what was worng with it, so turned out good for me.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

or

http://www.elitevw.com/products.htm

try these fellas if you want to replace

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Thanks for the link to Elite VW etc.

Fix it? Just like that!

Take the head off? How?

Fix the timing? How?

I was told it's very awkward to get at the timing. I would need a hoist. It all sounds too much for me, I'm afraid. It's probably something minor. Shame to just let it lay there in my carpark.

Anybody want to buy it as it is?

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Get your self a manual for this engine or alternative read up on the forums.Its not complicated to remove the cylinder head or the cambelt timing /setting replacement.Obtain a few essential tools ie cylinder head hex bolt undo & timing tools which is a inserted peg to hold the pump and a camshaft locking plate which fits into a slot at the rear of the camshaft.Good Luck.Oh no hoist is required for cylinder head removal.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Nah, I'm just going to sell it as it is. It's empty inside. No fittings. Rust here and there, dent in the drivers door. I'm sure that can be knocked back into shape.
The engine is the problem. Is it just the timing or have the pistons been knocked around?

Anyway, has anyone any idea what price I should go for? What's it worth?

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

I've been told it a lot of hard work to just get at the part that needs working on
what part???

The cam belt can be changed reasonably easy (I've done mine twice) with the engine still in the van. Timing requires the cambelt to be on properly, and the camshaft, crankshaft and pump pulley to be lined up - if you get that done then you should be able to drive it to get it fine tuned. A cambelt and tensioner cost under £20 - if it is still playing up after that then you won't have broken the bank (and thats coming from a tight student)
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀