Finding and fitting an engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Balaclava
80-90 Mem No: 2599

Finding and fitting an engine

Post by Balaclava »

I think my engine might be done for. Ran it with a worn timing belt and now won't go.
How to I begin to go about putting a new engine in and what kind of engine? Where can I get one? Is it worth the bother? B reg, Diesel, 1.6, water cooled. Anything else? Turbo.

The body is in good shape, some rust, not much. Wheels are good. Stripped almost bare inside. No sink, cooker, fridge or bed. Used to go so well until problem with timing belt.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

With a new belt set the timing correctly see if it will turn over okay.If all is not well.I would look out for a 1.9n mechanical pump non fly bywire from a golf just swop over your sump & oil pump. exhuast manifold.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Non fly by wire???

Would I need a hoist to swap engines? can it be done without one? I have a good mechanic friend who might be able to do it for me. he said it is very difficult to reset the timings without dropping the engine down or being in a pit. Is that true?

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

Balaclava wrote:Non fly by wire???

Would I need a hoist to swap engines? can it be done without one? I have a good mechanic friend who might be able to do it for me. he said it is very difficult to reset the timings without dropping the engine down or being in a pit. Is that true?

Timing is pi$$ easy, certainly don't need a ramp.

Was the engine really healtyh before? smokey or noisy, if it was just get a 1.9 to replace it with.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Excuse my ignorance, but is it really that simple to replace an engine? Any ideas where I might get a 1.9?

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

I'd like to hang onto this old van if I could. How much roughly would a replacement engine cost?

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Obtaining a 1.9n requires looking through free ads salvage yards.The for sale forum occasionaly has them.Ideally get a complete car so you can here it running & check for leaks ie oil in the water . Once you got a good doner car or a engine get a helper ."not some one taking dosh & runs away at the slightest problem.If you read through the forums topics are discussed like engine timing replacing cambelt & swopping over parts and engine change.Do a search.Obtain suitable tools &take your time . Cost for a engine or doner car varies anythink at a guess £80 -£250.Its still can be a risk for second hand to get a good engine.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Thanks, Camper, I'll get round to replacing the timer belt first and see how it sounds.

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Post by windysurfer »

If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

oldiguana
80-90 Mem No: 2720

Post by oldiguana »

eyup duck,i sourced a 1.9n/a diesel for the missus' camper off fleabay-£150 delivered,bought an engine crane from same said site £50 and did it on me jackie jones,i even bought myself an engine stand from fleabay £40 to make swapping all the bits nice and easy.probably all in all took me a day to fit and plumb everything up after i'd finished swapping all the bits over,but i didnt have any of the wiring dilemas a few of the lads have had with them.....regards
.membership no 2720