starter motor bushing

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bartlby bus
80-90 Mem No: 4001

starter motor bushing

Post by bartlby bus »

my bus has a problem starting when it is warm i have read that there is a bush on the starter motor that could be the problem does any one know the part number and where to get one?

my bus is a 1983 1.9 petrol water cooled

any help would be great

thanks

bartlby bus

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

alas i cannot give you part number, but GSF (German Sweadish & French car parts) sell them, about a quid each, and remember to soak it submersed in engine oil for 24hrs before fitting.......

however, it could also be your timing that is causing your symptoms, so check it as per bentley, or haynes manwells.....

posted mobilish, from 07947137911
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

Mocki wrote:
posted mobilish, from 07947137911

does the ish bit mean you are at home but tooo lazy to get of your a*** and go the other side of the room to use the real computer?? :lol:

uncle festa
80-90 Mem No: 2937

Post by uncle festa »

Just had mine rebuilt

Cost just over a hundred quid would of rather had a go at it me self

Also check the terminals in the solonoid mine were kaput
Bilbos 1.9

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

I just finished rebuilding my starting motor. Theyre very simple really. It cost me nothing and it works perfectly now. If I did have to replace the brushes it would have cost very little, but mine were fine. The only problem I had was getting the solenoid off, but I ended up just drilling the heads off the screws and replacing them with new M5x30mm bolts. The whole thing only took me a couple of hours. If youre replacing the brushes, you may as well clean out the whole starter and grease all the gears, bearings and the solenoid and spray a light coating of WD40 onto the rotor assembly before putting it all back together. Oh and polish the commutator (rotating contacts on the rotor) with some light sandpaper to get any rubbish off them. I guarantee you the motor will be fine then. Its very rarely the windings that burn out in them.
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.

SteveW
80-90 Mem No: 2760

Post by SteveW »

GSF Bush coe is 90103 £1 + vat

Easy enough to do if you have a 12mm tap. (I have) where are you?
Never enough time

bartlby bus

Post by bartlby bus »

steve

im in bristol here my local garage like the chalange of my camper and are very reasonably priced

by the way how long do you think it takes to do this job? just so i know

bartlby bus

SteveW
80-90 Mem No: 2760

Post by SteveW »

If all goes well I have changed a starter motor and bush in 1/2 hour.
But I did have one that was so worn the tap hardly had any thing to grip on, that took around an hour.

If you are going to do it yourself it would be worth getting a few things together first.

1. M12 tap
On to the square end press a stainless or brass nut on I used a nice big vice to do this. You will then be able to use a socket and ratchet to drive the tap in to the bush.

2. A allen bolt that the head will fit in the bush, a strong washer and a nut to lock the washer against the head of the bolt.
I use this on the bush and tap it home with a hammer. Just make certain the bush is going in square and not cocked.

It is also a good idea to get a small snap seal plastic bag to put some oil in then the bush leave for a few days to thoroughly lube the bush.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Never enough time

bartlby bus

Post by bartlby bus »

thanks for the info it will go to the garage next week i hope to sort it out