engine mounting replacement help

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mickeyflyn
80-90 Mem No: 10871

engine mounting replacement help

Post by mickeyflyn »

Hello people :D it's been a while since I've been on and posted but I need a
some advice from the vast wealth of knowledge here.

I'm going to change the engine mountings on my 1983 1.9 wbxr this week and need to know the best way ?
I had a quick look today and am thinking support engine and undo cradle Bolts lower engine slightly to reach the mounting bolts . does this sound right to those of more experience than I?

Mickey
1.9df petrol water cooled 1982 built registered 84 ,
If it aint broke don`t fix it !

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: engine mounting replacement help

Post by CovKid »

Sounds fine to me. Just remember when you fit new mounts they need to be loose (nuts just on and no more) or you'll struggle to line them up. Don't start tightening them before its all in situ. If I remember rightly, at least one or two of the inner ones need a tiny socket set due to the lack of room.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

mickeyflyn

Post by mickeyflyn »

Thanks ck I have a small socket set 3/8 drive and the tip on leaving the mounts lose was very clever if a simple one that I had not thought of.

I've got a few jobs to do Inc new fuel filler neck seals and throttle cable and gas on the fridge to sort as it not cooling on gas, i think that maybe baffle in the flu though from what I've read .

Thanks again
Mickey

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

a 3/8 drive universal joint is handy for doing the two upper ones,did mine last week,when I refitted the rear crossmember I tightened up one side loosley and being on my own used a trolley jack with a bit of wood on it to jack up the other side of the crossmember and hold it in place to make it easier to bolt up,that way I could ''jiggle'' the mounts around to line everything up before finally tightening it all up,good luck,let us know if there is any improvement in your gear change
Nil carborundum illegitimi

mickeyflyn

Post by mickeyflyn »

Gear change isn't the problem , it's when the engine fires up the exhaust clunks the body and the engine is rocking about way more than I think it should. on inspection of the mounts the look shot and looks like an easy enough fix.

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

that is what mine was doing as well but it has made the gear change a lot better,maybe because it is not wobbling about as much,do not know the reason but it is better
Nil carborundum illegitimi

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

When the mounts are shot, the engine, while still sitting on the support bar, does indeed wobble about and this has both an impact on gear changing and things like clutch judder which can become pronounced once the mounts go. A chafing exhaust is another potential symptom.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Tysoe
80-90 Mem No: 9737

Post by Tysoe »

Hi Guys,

I'm doing exactly this job on my 2.0 CU engine.

I had a look this weekend and can't see how you access the mount bolts where they attach to the engine (on top of the mounts). I could barely reach my hand around to feel the top of the mounts.

What do i need to remove to get access? Looked like i'd need to remove heat exchangers too to remove the support bar?

I have pretty good clearance form my exhaust as i have a bike can on there (thanks covkid for the wiki :wink: )

Cheers
1981 2.0 CU camper

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Tysoe wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm doing exactly this job on my 2.0 CU engine.

What do i need to remove to get access? Looked like i'd need to remove heat exchangers too to remove the support bar?

Cheers
You need to remove the fan and housing. No need to remove the heat exchangers or exhaust, just swing the engine down at the back for access.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow