how much oil will spill when removing rocker covers

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Alzey
80-90 Mem No: 11484

how much oil will spill when removing rocker covers

Post by Alzey »

Hi, putting on a new exhaust, one things leads to another and decided to replace rockers covers that are looking a bit ropey, quick question how much oil will spill when you take the rocker cover off ? Not sure whether to do now or later.
The van is up on ramps at the rear tilted forward. the Haynes says be prepared for some oil loss. 1.9 DG Carevelle 1988.

Regards
Al

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: how much oil will spill when removing rocker covers

Post by BOXY »

A couple of drips if the engine hasn't been running for an hour or so. I replace the rocker gaskets on my air-cooled a couple of times a year and I've never lost any oil.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

Alzey

Post by Alzey »

Boxy, you're a gent, and perfectly timed ,cuppa in hand just about to go back to the job in hand and get on with it

ta very much
Al :D

Alzey

Post by Alzey »

Can't believe it, no gaskets on the old rocker covers and no leaks, put on new covers with gaskets and the nearside one is constantly dripping, offside one is fine no problems, back to the drawing board....

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Alzey wrote:Can't believe it, no gaskets on the old rocker covers and no leaks,

Are you sure :shock: It would be very odd that :?

Alzey wrote: put on new covers with gaskets and the nearside one is constantly dripping, offside one is fine no problems, back to the drawing board....

2 things, it's easy on these to get the gasket slightly wrongly positioned, as in, it can "slip" when putting the covers back on. Some folk use a smear of grease, I use a very light smear of non setting goo, like Hylomar Blue (note = don't use the silicone type stuff here). Secondly, those retaining spring clips lose often their tension. Maybe a good idea to get two new ones, they are not expensive.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Alzey

Post by Alzey »

Appreciate that it is unusual, I had checked the gasket had seated properly and have taken it off and rechecked and still dripping, you would assume that if the retaining clips were slightly weak then the gasket would take up the slack, so to speak. Absolutely amazed /astounded there was no gasket on there in the first place and no leak. it just doesn't add up does it ? I 've had to leave for tonight now as my daughter had broken down in my other car with the grandkid on board. It never rains but it pours.

Thanks for the input, I'll have another play with it tomorrow

Cheers
Al