what's this for?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

what's this for?

Post by scottbott »

found this when I removed the water pump pulley,never noticed it before,is it a sender of some description?Image
Nil carborundum illegitimi

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Re: what's this for?

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Thats one of your oil pressure senders. Other comes out between the push rod tubes below left head
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

it's not connected to anything,should I leave it like that?,had the van nearly 5 years and no problems

SamsBus2012

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Well, you will never hear the "buzzercof death" thats for sure. This is the high pressure sensor - may have been faulty and disconnected to stop false readings. There should be a couple of brown wires nsar the left front ofthe engine (near the black box on thd bulkhead. If you look under the engine on the left you should be able to see the low pressure sensor (learned all ghis from Ghost 123 bythe way) between the push rod tubes (if you dont have tinware) - trace the wire from this back and you may find the other. New sensors readily available from bw etc.
Tom (aka Matt)

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

would it be disconnected to stop false readings?,bit of a worry,will have to check this out,another bloody thing to do :roll:

SamsBus2012

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Could be but as you say you have had your van for over 5 years, I think it points more toward a faulty sensor. If you can fjnd the wire, reconnect and see what happens - you may well get the buzzer of death - thankfully having never heard it myself cant say what it sounds like! I'll take some pics of the wires on mine in the morning so you can see what you are looking fir if that helps?
Tom (aka Matt)

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

cheers for that but you should be having rain tomorrow according to the weather forcast,I will have a looksee under the van as well

SamsBus2012

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Rain keeps the kids indoors and me an excuse to go and hide in the van for a while :D
Tom (aka Matt)

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

That's for the DOP monitoring system fitted to late wbx vans. It's the high pressure switch, normally open and closes at 0.9bar, hopefully below 2000rpm, so disconnecting it would make the BOD buzz and light flash. If that's not happening your yellow wire has been permanently earthed, or the rpm signal wire from coil has been disconnected, or you have a different dash with no DOP built in, or you have a later engine than van.
But do you have DOP? If you turn ignition on and the oil light flashes, yes you do. If it's on steady you don't, and can safely forget about the switch.
The two wires for the two switches should be together in a white plastic twin connector. One wire (low pressure switch between lhs pushrod tubes) is blue with black trace. The other is yellow and should go to the front grey switch you ask about.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

my oil light flashes,will have to check this out,never heard the buzzer of doom go off ever,as far as I know my engine is original to the van

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Ok, so you have the DOP monitoring dash. With that switch simply disconnected the buzzer should come on above 2000rpm, unless it's been deliberately disabled. The two usual ways to do this are to permanently earth the yellow wire, fooling the DOP to believe switch is closed, or to remove rpm signal (green wire from -ve side of coil, possibly snipped at dash plug?) so it thinks engine is not running! (If you have a rev counter that works, it won't be that.)
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran