Pointer in right directions for newbie please??

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Older 'n dust
80-90 Mem No: 13855

Pointer in right directions for newbie please??

Post by Older 'n dust »

Just had my (new to me, but old - 85 B reg) T25 1.9 petrol water cooled camper up on the ramps with the guy who usually does all my car work. The main issue need to sort first is the manifold to down pipe gasket set and studs and pins as the whole thing sounds like a trial bike at the moment :oops: He's fine for that, I've just got to find out where best place to get them from so any pointers will be gratefully followed up!!

However, the thing I am stuck most for is that when checking the cooling system, there were loads of new bits of pipe in different sections towards the front end, but two very corroded steel sections of the cooler pipes going from under mid body to the engine section. Just looked in the Haynes but it tells you about the 'main bits' and not so much about the pipes...

Any thoughts on whether it would be best to replace the whole jolly lot, or just try to find out what the two very corroded metal pipes are at back (look to be about 3 foot long 'ish) and see if I can just replace those first??? Oh yeah... and any recommendations on where I can try to get them from?....

Sorry for the thick questions... it's a female thing :roll:
You can take me anywhere... twice... the second time to apologise! :P

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Re: Pointer in right directions for newbie please??

Post by Dazco »

If possible try and get some pictures posted on the site, one pic can be worth a thousand words. Also try the vw heritage web site , they have good diagrams of different systems . You might be able to identify the bits from there .
:ok
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Older 'n dust

Post by Older 'n dust »

Thanks for that.... will try to get some time to get it up on ramp again.... failing that, I'll borrow a couple of drive up's and see what I can do! He has not worked on VW's for years and mostly used to do all bodywork and make panels etc. but he's doing this as a sort of favour as we've took our cars to him for years. I just gotta learn the difference between his motor speak and everyone elses :? He told me to get a manifold to down pipe gasket set and set of studs and pins for complete exhaust system as whoever tried to do it before us has sheered off one of the bolts, missed off fitting one of them and broke one bit off... I'm still trying to decipher that.... think I will end up down at his place with camera and computer tomorrow :shock: Corrrr... he's just gonna love me! :run

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

It's always a sod to get the exhaust studs out, and you're probably going to break a few more before you've finished. Soak them now, and for as long as you can. Then use heat. Lots of other threads on this dreaded subject....
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Sounds like the cooling pjpes you refer to are the main front to rear pipes - all you need here:

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... ystem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or here:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_Type ... eID_15.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

Older 'n dust

Post by Older 'n dust »

Thankies all for the very helpful responses :D Found a place to get stuff for manifold downpipe to exhaust and new pins etc. Will wait till I get the pre- MOT done before getting the stainless steel pipes, just in case they find something else that needs to be done to get it through MOT first!

Out of interest, someone has told me that when doing any repair work that requires engine or coolant etc draining, the front end should be raised slightly higher than back end when refilling is done. They say this helps prevent getting air blockages in the early water cooled, which has always been a bit of an issue with them. Does anyone know if this is right?? Cheers m'dears.... J

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Co ... ing_system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Older 'n dust

Post by Older 'n dust »

You guys are stars..... can see me loitering around here a lot!! :wink: