Cu leak with picture help please!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cheeky V
80-90 Mem No: 13074

Cu leak with picture help please!

Post by Cheeky V »

2.0 Cu lump

dropped the engine out last weekend, didn't split the case but did do the majority of the seals with a new oil cooler and other bits.
Now have a leak coming from around cylinder 3? running down the tinware underneath on the left hand side as shown in the pic, could anyone identify from the picture where its originating? I took the tin ware off once it had gone back in as I thought it might be coming from the bottom of the cylinder (which had a new sealing ring) re torqued the head to 45nm ( Haynes says 30nm) but its still leaking from somewhere, any help would be brilliant as we're off to the iow on the 8th :ok

Cheers
Cheeky V
1982 2.0 CU Aircooled *home brew* camper

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: Cu leak with picture help please!

Post by BOXY »

The only way to find the leak is to clean the engine off as much as possible and lay under it with the engine running and try to see where the drip starts. The air-flow around the engine can blow the oil away from the source. Just up from your red line it looks like the push rod tube has been dented. Is the leak starting there.

If you really can't see the leak after a few minutes running you can get a fluro dye and a UV lamp to pin down oil leaks, but its expensive.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

Cheeky V

Post by Cheeky V »

as much as I love a bit of hot oil on my face :wink: its coming from above the tinware on the bottom of the cylinders so I cant actually see where it originates :(
guess I'd best take the tinware off and have a look :ok
P.s checked the pushrod tube its not dented its just a bit of dirt, I know it needs a clean! :P

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

Oil pressure switch ??? It's on that side of the engine at the top, as Boxy says the cooling air will blast the oil all over the place.
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

Cheeky V

Post by Cheeky V »

Leak sorted. it was from the base of cylinder 3

Tinware off, head off, barrel slid away from crankcase, cleaned and re-torqued :ok

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

:ok
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.