rubber engine mounts

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

rubber engine mounts

Post by scottbott »

removed my old ones today,three of them were totally rooted,I pulled one apart very easily and two others had a tiny bit of rubber holding everything together,no wonder my engine was wobbling about on tick over,will refit the new ones tomorrow and also will replace the gearbox one with a polybush,was very suprised how rusty the main engine brace was,cleaned it up with an angle grinder and pad,are they available new?,never had to look before but will have a looksee tonight,anyone doing this job will find having a 3/8 drive universal joint very handy for getting to some of the nuts
Nil carborundum illegitimi

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: rubber engine mounts

Post by California Dreamin »

Done this myself...and to anyone reading this, faulty ones are easy to miss as often they appear to be intact....This is because the weight of the engine pushes them together.
To check...jack up on the engine (be careful to use a piece of wood to spread the load) you will immediately see the mounts come apart if they have failed.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

And in some instances (mine is one example) it is possible to put the bar in the wrong way round. It is slightly angled and normally it is obvious which way it goes round but my bar is the same front and back....
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

replaced the old ones today with the new brickwerks ones,bit of a struggle lining everything up but all done,what a difference to the gearchange,I reckon the engine was wobbling so much and the length of the gear mechanism,levers and fulcrums etc,I was planning on replacing the gearchange bushes but reckon they can be left for a while as the change feels great,well chuffed

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

just an update,definite major improvement in gear change quality and I reckon it may be a good job to do along side changing bushes in the gear linkage as that may be part of peoples gear change problems,bit of a pain to do but worth it in my opinion and I could swear blind that the engine is running quieter as well,I have had a slightly noisy tappet for a while,andrew at campershack noticed it but said leave it alone it's noisy but ok,it is quiet now,coincidence or what??,the engine was well rocking my wife even noticed the van shaking at tickover,all gone now :ok