Missing DG engine number

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

handsmann
80-90 Mem No: 13724

Missing DG engine number

Post by handsmann »

I hesitate to post this in the technical area, so apologies if this question would have been better asked elsewhere. I have looked in the wiki and tech archive before posting...

Before buying our 1985 van, with what is by all accounts a DG engine, I was unable to find the engine number in the place that I've read it should be. The attached photo should show that I've thoroughly cleaned the area to read the number. Perhaps I'm one of life's pessimists but does it look like the number has been ground off? I'd love someone to tell me I'm being dumb and that the number is elsewhere. The V5 says it's a DG but I'd really like to see the number for myself.

The van is RHD, 4-speed manual and petrol.

Should I be looking somewhere else - or just enjoying working on my "hot" engine? :? Half hoping someone at Tatton this weekend will recognise the van and know something about it. I'm assuming it's against the rules to put registration numbers in posts...

Many thanks

Chris Mann
1985 RHD 1.9 DG, Pierburg 2E carburettor, high-top, no mods, wannabe mechanic

dave lfc
80-90 Mem No: 9021

Re: Missing DG engine number

Post by dave lfc »

yes that has been ground off as i have just double checked on mine,hope this helps,cheers dave :ok
its better to burn out than to fade away 1.9 dg petrol transporter1988

handsmann

Post by handsmann »

Dave, many thanks for convincing me I'm not nuts - and for taking the time to actually go and check on a Monday morning! I guess this van will produce more little mysteries as time goes by.

Thanks again.

Chris

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Yes ground off but why?
It looks like a pierburg carb which says dg but its always possible the engine is a df or even dj and somebody wanted to hide that
There are some checks you could do but id just assume its a dg and drive it
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

handsmann

Post by handsmann »

Thanks itchyfeet, I just suspect theft of an engine, if not an entire vehicle. I checked the part number for the inlet manifold (don't have it with me as I'm writing this) and it matches the DG and, I think, the DH (could have got that wrong).

The shape of the air cleaner threw me because I expected a round one, but I think I've read that the shape changed late 1985 when this van was built. I've been clutching at straws and looking on other sites (not VW ones) and I've read about replacement crankcases being supplied with no number stamped on, but like I say, I'm clutching at straws a bit there.

Buyer beware and all that...

Thanks again

Chris

handsmann

Post by handsmann »

itchyfeet wrote:its always possible the engine is a df or even dj

Just occurred to me I'd better do some of those checks - or pay an expert - because if the lump were a DJ that would consititute an upgrade and my insurer would want to know that. Got to be honest, the way the van pulls in 2nd, it feels like it has more than the DF's 60 bhp, but what do I know?

If you're happy to let me know just one of the checks I could do to unravel this, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

A rather fed up camper owner today :oops:

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Check your vin number stamped into the chassis is there, under the off side, crawl under rear of the front wheel look from rear towards front on the crossmember

no way an insurer will know but to check for a 2.1 it has a longer stroke so hard to do but take a plug out and with a long piece of stiff wire in the hole turn it over and measure stroke length
dg 69mm dj 76mm
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

handsmann

Post by handsmann »

Itchyfeet - many thanks. You can imagine how my wife and I feel at having parted with money for something that's only partly what it seems (an experience many members will relate to I'm sure).

I'll check the chassis number - I'll check everything.

Thanks again.

Chris

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

As long as the vin code matches dont worry about it, un the unlikely event engine id a dj just enjoy it, many are running djs on a pierburg carb, nice upgrade but to keep it quiet you may want to grind the number off :lol:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

handsmann

Post by handsmann »

itchyfeet wrote:As long as the vin code matches dont worry about it, un the unlikely event engine id a dj just enjoy it, many are running djs on a pierburg carb, nice upgrade but to keep it quiet you may want to grind the number off :lol:

I've read the forum rules and bad language is discouraged. Just kidding - and thanks for the encouragement :ok

Chris

handsmann

Post by handsmann »

itchyfeet wrote:Check your vin number stamped into the chassis is there, under the off side, crawl under rear of the front wheel look from rear towards front on the crossmember

This gets worse. Although the paper label above the pedals and the metal place in the offside door opening have the same VIN number and that matches the V5, I can't find it on the crossmember (I think I've seen it called an outrigger too). There's the usual road dirt and stuff but I'd expect to be able to feel it or see it somewhere.

Crawling under the engine, I can see what looks like a part number, 025 101 102. I've trawled the internet and not matched this anywhere. The number looks like it's on the bottom of the crankcase, but towards the right-hand side and not right on the bottom, which is extensively finned.

Has anyone seen this part number anywhere?

Thanks

Chris

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

There are part numbers all over the van, different to serial numbers
if the stickers show the right number then dont worry, they could be fake but i doubt it, im sure you will find the chassis number in time after a rub down

did i say stop worrying?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Just had a quick look at my engine (1.9 DG) & that has 025 101 102 on the bottom end as well :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

300CE wrote:Just had a quick look at my engine (1.9 DG) & that has 025 101 102 on the bottom end as well :ok

if you look on the otherside of the crankcase it will say 025 101 101
they are the early wbx crankcase part numbers cast in
you will see t25 part numbers printed and cast/ moulded into everything, they start 025...

Late crankcase with two oil pressure switches and some other variation internally is the same number but has a B suffix
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

handsmann

Post by handsmann »

300CE wrote:Just had a quick look at my engine (1.9 DG) & that has 025 101 102 on the bottom end as well :ok

300CE - well I just heaved a sigh of relief. Things could be looking up - and I very much appreciate your going out to take a look. Scrabbling under a van isn't everyone's idea of fun on a Monday evening :D

Many thanks

Chris