fuel filter direction?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Gavla80
80-90 Mem No: 13567

fuel filter direction?

Post by Gavla80 »

Hi all,
This is my first technical question so i'll give you a bit of background first... I'm new to these vehicles and don't have much experience of mechanics (a bit of tinkering with a 100cc 2-stroke engine in my schools karting days many years ago and a few oil/filter/spark plug changes since then just about sum it up!)

I've just taken off the fuel filter and following much looking around on here and the wiki and other places for diagrams etc it appears to me (hopefully I'm wrong) that it was on with the flow in the wrong direction :? . i.e. the flow arrow is pointing back towards the fuel tank... see picture below

fuel filter.jpg

I was under the impression that the fuel flow arrow should be pointing away from the tank at this point...

Which way do I put the new fuel filter on :?: :?: :?:
1990 Autosleeper, 1.9 Petrol (DG)

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: fuel filter direction?

Post by BOXY »

The arrow should point towards the engine.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Assuming it's not come off the 'return' pipe that is, people do all sorts of strange things.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

Gavla80

Post by Gavla80 »

Thanks for the replies. It's not on the return pipe, it was where it should be according to all diagrams just the wrong way round!

I've now put the new one on the right way round but it hasn't solved my issue... if anything it's made it worse :cry: ! so I don't think that was the cause of the problem, nevermind - was hoping for a quick easy fix... :rofl

I'll look around some more on the wiki/tech archive and then start a new thread detailing symptoms if I can't get to the bottom of it...

Gavla80

Post by Gavla80 »

Could the fact it's been on the wrong way have caused any lasting damage to the fuel system?

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Gavla80 wrote:Could the fact it's been on the wrong way have caused any lasting damage to the fuel system?
None at all. The pump will just have had to work harder, and it might not have filtered as efficiently.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gavla80

Post by Gavla80 »

AdrianC wrote:
Gavla80 wrote:Could the fact it's been on the wrong way have caused any lasting damage to the fuel system?
None at all. The pump will just have had to work harder, and it might not have filtered as efficiently.

That's good to know thanks :D

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

The filter media (paper) normally has a support that its wrapped around. The fuel flows from the outside in and the support stops the media collapsing. If you fit it the wrong way around the fuel flows from the inside out and the media could blow up like a balloon once it starts to block up and eventually split. Like AdrianC said it won't do any harm fitting it the wrong way around.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.