Fitted a new clutch, but no 2/4th gears...!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Fitted a new clutch, but no 2/4th gears...!

Post by New Kentish Campers »

As title, I've fitted a new clutch over the weekend :) But, I can only now get reverse, 1st [with a little difficulty] and third, with no problem.

From road testing it, when I try to engage 2/4th gears, the lever isn't going downward as much as it used to and as I mentioned, first isn't quite where it was before.

Now, I only uncoupled the selector shaft from the gearbox casing via the 2 13mm nuts and bolts and it dropped down [a bit too easy for my liking, see below :roll: ] to the floot simply enough.

When I reassembled it all, I did try the gearlever and it didn't want to engage said gears so I undid the 2 13mm bolts again and dropped the linkage bar again. Then I noticed a piece of what looks to be folded insulating tape that was inside the socket, presumably as a bodge to make the ball and socket fit snughly - I did say it came apart a bit too easy... I reffited it, and greased the parts and now its better, but not enough to select 2/4th gears [I can do it perfectly when the link is removed so its not a gearbox issue.

I noticed what looks to be some sort of joint thing toward the front of the van. Obviously, I will need to replace the ball joints assy [off to France on Tuesday... :shock: ] so I'm wondering A] do I redo a bigger piece of tape to presumably take up the slack, or can I adjust this other link I've noticed to give proper travel once again. Perghaps whoever used the tape method didnt realise that you could just adjust the rod by this method?

Help and advice welcome please!! :ok

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Fitted a new clutch, but no 2/4th gears...!

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

You haven't made the same mistake have you?

tommin wrote:Oldie no truer word said, well near anyway.

Everybody, the only statement i will make - "read the wiki over and over and over and over until you have it clearly inbedded in that brain box"

I made the simplest of errors that sent me into panic mode :oops: I connected the gearshift rod bracket at the rear of the gearbox when it should have been the front :oops:

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

New Kentish Campers

Ah!! That's a distinct possibility :oops:
Will look tomorrow and let you know :)
If this is now two of us who have done in a short space of time then maybe it could go in the wiki, unless of couse its not already there and I didn't read it (I'm good at that too :roll: )
Thanks. Doug.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

New Kentish Campers wrote: maybe it could go in the wiki
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... hanism_Pt2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, starting at the back (alongside gearbox), remove the two bolts holding the support plate to the gearbox. Note that the plate, held on with two nuta and bolts, is fitted to the FRONT of the gearbox casting. Get this wrong on reassembly and you'll have all kinds of problems getting into gear! It is a common mistake on reassembly.

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

New Kentish Campers

Thank you. Thats most likely what I've done. :D

New Kentish Campers

Yep, I too made the self same mistake :twisted:
That will teach me to first read up on a job before I start it..... :oops:
I now have four gears and a lovely clutch too. Whew!!!
Thank you gentlemen.... Doug.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I use a camera and photograph everything, helps to be able to look back at how it came appart when confused and how you reassembled it when you find out later there was something you should have done or checked but didnt
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks