Gearbox leaks from CV joint

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

92Syncro
80-90 Mem No: 13389

Gearbox leaks from CV joint

Post by 92Syncro »

Just had a nice weekend down in Devon in the bus for the first time. I've just been checking a few things over as it's been getting harder to get it into 4th. Clutch travel is to the floor, but until now havn't looked too hard at it. There's a fair bit of fluid around the clutch mater cylinder, so thinking this might be my issue. Slave seems pretty dry.

When I was checking the slave I noticed that oil has been leaking from one of the CV joints and paited the surrounding areas black. I had this joint off to replace the boots recently, was fine before that. Before I go too far down one route is this my likely issue here?

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... eak_repair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure I fancy this repair myself, so are there some other possibilities I might want to investigate first? Something I might have dislodged when removing the driveshaft?

Cheers!
---

'91 "Big Window" SA Syncro - 2.1DJ

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Gearbox leaks from CV joint

Post by CovKid »

Yep, it'll be those seals. Not a tough job to be honest, just gives you neck ache with the gearbox in situ.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

92Syncro
80-90 Mem No: 13389

Post by 92Syncro »

CovKid wrote:Yep, it'll be those seals. Not a tough job to be honest, just gives you neck ache with the gearbox in situ.

Deep down I knew it would be, but was hoping! Thanks for confirming it. I'll sleep on it and see if I feel like tackling it during the week. At least I didn't get round to replacing the gearbox oil yet.

Your photos in the wiki are seriously helpful to get me started. Cheers!
---

'91 "Big Window" SA Syncro - 2.1DJ

saviogimmi
80-90 Mem No: 13584

Post by saviogimmi »

Did this job yesterday! Very easy, apart from the neck ache! The only prob you might find is the screws that hold the plastic dust cover are seized solid one of mine was so had to drill it out! I used the tip of drilling the seal on either side then screwed to big screws into the holes then used two claw hammers to lever it out.
vw t25 westfalia Hi Top 1.9 Diesel AEf Engine.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

You could shift them if you used mole grips as well as a crosshead screwdriver bit. Alternatively you may be able to chase them undone with a cold chisel or a small irwins stuck bolt remover.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.