Brakes slightly on

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JamesKT25
80-90 Mem No: 12638

Brakes slightly on

Post by JamesKT25 »

Just got me a fresh mot with 4 small advisories. However halfway home performance seemed to be lacking pulled into the courtyard at home and noticed both front brakes were red hot. Any ideas on what might have happened or what to look for tomorrow?
Drives a 1986 T25 1.9 W/C petrol/LPG Panelvan

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Brakes slightly on

Post by ghost123uk »

Odd that both were binding. It's normally a seized calliper, but it would be a coincidence (though not impossible of course), for both sides to seize up at the same time.

SerenityCamper on here recently told me something I had not come across before (which is unusual for me) in that apparently the flexi brake hoses can deteriorate internally and block them selves up with regard to the calliper pistons moving back (when not braking) and the movement of fluid cannot get back up the pipe. (on braking, the pressure is so high it can still easily force it's way past the blockage). All new to me and also unlike that both sides of your has done this at the same time.

Sorry can't be any more helpful than that.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

ghost123uk wrote: The flexi brake hoses can deteriorate internally and block them selves up with regard to the calliper pistons moving back (when not braking) and the movement of fluid cannot get back up the pipe. (on braking, the pressure is so high it can still easily force it's way past the blockage).

This happened to me once, it confused the hel out of me mechanic told me thats what it would be, it did slowly release the brake over several seconds
I suspect it may be xaused by clamping flexi lines so i try not to if i can help it

my guess is a fault in the master cylinder as its both but suppose if its been standing unused for a while both calipers could be corroded and stiff, would pass like that
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

JamesKT25

Post by JamesKT25 »

Its been driven a good 700 miles over the last month before the test and no issure what so ever. Its a right bummer after getting a fresh ticket. ive just done the o/s f bearing day before the test but i cant see that effecting both front brakes, they were fine when i got to the MOT spot...

royt28
80-90 Mem No: 11915

Post by royt28 »

have you gone over tight on the bearings?
1990 westfalia california pop top 1.6jx

JamesKT25

Post by JamesKT25 »

No, the one I have done was even advised as slight play in the mot. Slightly more than there needs to be.

Verne
80-90 Mem No: 13453

Post by Verne »

itchyfeet wrote:
ghost123uk wrote: The flexi brake hoses can deteriorate internally and block them selves up with regard to the calliper pistons moving back (when not braking) and the movement of fluid cannot get back up the pipe. (on braking, the pressure is so high it can still easily force it's way past the blockage).

This happened to me once, it confused the hel out of me mechanic told me thats what it would be, it did slowly release the brake over several seconds
I suspect it may be xaused by clamping flexi lines so i try not to if i can help it

my guess is a fault in the master cylinder as its both but suppose if its been standing unused for a while both calipers could be corroded and stiff, would pass like that

Many years ago, we were on our way from South Wales to the Midlands in my Fastback and could feel the brakes binding, so I stopped every few miles and hit the hub nut with a hammer, this appeared to free it up for a while.
It turned out that the flexi hose had collapsed and the shock had helped the fluid back up the hose :?

Can't see this happening on both sides simultaneously, so would look more towards the master cylinder.
Verne

KEIF - '87 1.9DG T25 Tin-Top Camper
LILIBUG - '67 1200 Beetle resto project

JamesKT25

Post by JamesKT25 »

Took the van out today including some real hammer on the brakes 25miles and no major warmth.... :s