How to drain the diesel tank on a T25

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sharkjazz
80-90 Mem No: 6648

How to drain the diesel tank on a T25

Post by sharkjazz »

Hi guys, been a while since have needed your help, but you haven't got rid of me that easy ;-)

I managed to pour about 8 litres of diesel mixed with bug killer and other nasties into the van (who the hell would put that in a fuel container!)

Anyways, I need to drain it. I have spent the last hour unsuccessfully trying to suck the fuel out and got about a thimble full out :-(

Tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything (nor in the haynes guide, nor google).

Did see when thread where it hinted out unconnecting the fuel filter and draining that way. But how, I disconnected the fuel filter and nothing comes out.

The van is currently immobile (dead battery) pointing front end slightly downhill and tilting sideways towards the fuel input hole (incase that makes a difference).

rob1927
80-90 Mem No: 11027

Re: How to drain the diesel tank on a T25

Post by rob1927 »

Hello, bit of a bummer that! Where and how are you sucking the fuel/bugkiller from?
Proud owner of my 1.6TD JX '89 Caravelle, other wise known as -'that which is usually broke'.

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

S'easy.

Cheap 12v pump from scrappy and length of hose.connect it to outlet. Two wires onto a battery and pu p it out into suitable containers.

Will get as much out as you can without dropping tank. :ok

sharkjazz
80-90 Mem No: 6648

Post by sharkjazz »

rob1927 wrote:Hello, bit of a bummer that! Where and how are you sucking the fuel/bugkiller from?
where you fill the tank up from, not sure of the correct term. The hole you stick the fuel pump nozzle in.

Is is quite hard to force the tube in, it seems to hit a wall of some kind, but with some repeated in and out action can get it into the tank. The fuel should be about half full (according to the meter) but is hard to get the hose in and submerged for some reason (blow in and listen for bubbles)

ELVIS wrote:S'easy.

Cheap 12v pump from scrappy and length of hose.connect it to outlet. Two wires onto a battery and pu p it out into suitable containers.

Will get as much out as you can without dropping tank. :ok
Not so easy when you live in a small village by the beach in Ecuador :-(

If don't get it fixed before, should be in the city (about 90 minutes away) in a week or so will check it out.

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Tube should go down filler neck ok, there is a bend in the end that points towards floor but is otherwise unrestricted. Alternatively, take filler neck off and you can get straight into the side f the tank, the neck is just a push fit into a rubber grommet.

Try siphoning it like that.

Any pump will do as long as it sucks. Must be something you can beg/steal/borrow. Anything electric from any car, water pump from a boat or sink unit, absolutely anything. (Just dont borrow your mates water pump and give it back after) :ok

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

hey just take the pipe of the back of the tank on the underside nearside (left side if looking at the van from the rear) it will run out,just have a change of catch tanks,
mm

rob1927
80-90 Mem No: 11027

Post by rob1927 »

I'd suggest what Micky said, i know the feeling of living in the middle of nowhere and trying to get stuff, i'm out in the sticks of east Finland.

If you look at the back end of the tank there will be two pipes that run off it one feed and one return, pop one off, and let it empty. You said your parked front on slightly down hill, is it poss to raise the front of the van a bit? :D
Proud owner of my 1.6TD JX '89 Caravelle, other wise known as -'that which is usually broke'.