1.9 DG engine help please

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mgbman
80-90 Mem No: 10891

1.9 DG engine help please

Post by mgbman »

I am looking to buy a 1989 van with 1.9 DG original engine. Van has done around 90,000 miles only.

The van has not been used much for last 4 years and no servicing done. Regularly serviced before that with previous owner. Coolant changed 4 years ago, but don't know what was used or the strength.

Engine started ok but loud tappet rattle. Oil light started flashing and when revved up the low pressure buzzer kicked in and stayed on.

Switched off, then owner took me for test drive and buzzer continuous but he was happy to continue driving the van.

He said the problem only started when I turned up. Also I noted a coolant leak from the engine and the coolant level was low in the tank.

Owner not at all mechanically minded and didn't even know where the spare wheel was. I think he had not looked under the van before. He had only done around 1500 miles in the past 3 years.

Also he had topped up the oil with a 10W40 semi synthetic.

My gut feeling is this low mileage original 1989 engine is on the way out. The lack of maintenance in the last 4 years and lack of use is a concern.

Your thoughts and opinions would be welcome.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: 1.9 DG engine help please

Post by itchyfeet »

Tappets will quieten down but oil light and buzzer on is a major problem as it lac of coolant for 4 years which will likely have caused internal corrosion.
id walk away but if you want a punt knock off 1k for a second hand engine fitted and try them.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

What Paul says ^^^

itchyfeet wrote: if you want a punt knock off 1k for a second hand engine fitted and try then.

Agreed. The coolant leak might be the head to case seals, which many folk consider too much hassle to sort, the buzzer and light may be a wiring fault, but the noisy tappets might be another indication of an oil pressure problem, or they might just need a good run to re-prime them (quite common that).

If you get it and find that the coolant leak and the oil warning buzzer/light are simple fixes, you are quids in, if not you will likely end up buying another engine for ~£1000 (is Elite VW good or bad this week ;))

The fact that he carried on driving it with the buzzer and light on, knowing it had only just started to happen, worries me though. He must be a bit of a plonker to do that :roll: Oil warning buzzer and light means STOP NOW !!
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

mgbman

Post by mgbman »

In fact I saw the garage receipts in the service history file and a new metal coolant pipe was fitted in 2007 and the coolant was only topped up, not flushed and changed. The garage bill showed only £6 for coolant and the type was not shown on the bill.

I forgot to mention the dash analog clock does not work, would that be related to the oil light and buzzer to do with the wiring.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Yes oil light and buzzer could be bad wiring but would you take the risk? I wouldnt, it says duff engine to me
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

mgbman

Post by mgbman »

Thank you all for your quick and helpful replies. My son now has my 1980 Aircooled Devon, thats why I am out looking for another van for myself.

Looking at the posts on the forum, I have learned that the water cooled engines have major issues if not maintained properly, especially the coolant.

I agree with the genearal feeling that the engine on this van is on the way out and so I have decided not to buy this van.