Stubborn spigot bearing, any ideas on removing it please?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Stubborn spigot bearing, any ideas on removing it please?

Post by New Kentish Campers »

I couldn't fit my new clutch the other weekend so had to start it the other day instead. I've dropped the gearbox down to do the job, [and the clutch was nigh worn out] and so far, so good, until that is, I tried to remove the spigot bearing.

I've tried and tried the hydraylic grease method to no avail, so looked through the wiki but I still cant get it out. From trying the grease to no avail, I tried tapping in the edges and one piece of ring shaped metal came out and then the rollers and their plastic cage came out, but I'm now left with what appears to be a circular part right at the flywheel end, then a little step inside [I'm pretty sure its the flywheel metal itself], and then another part of casing thats at the crank end of the hole, i.e sleeve, a little down step, and sleeve again. Is this correct as the new bearing's case is just one piece?

The new bearing if definatley the correct part, yet it looks to be too big for the current hole in the flywheel, reinforcing my thinking that I still have a piece of the old casing in there but that said, I cannot see an edge of that to show up in the flywheel's hole, if that makes sence. It looks like the flywheel hole is as it looks, i.e no bearing edge on show. As it's an interference fit, would it be that tight that no edge can be seen??

I'm reluctand to start operations to remove these two pieces with a cold chisel unless I have to but I dont think theres much choice really :|

What do you reckon? :)

icosahedron
80-90 Mem No: 8620

Re: Stubborn spigot bearing, any ideas on removing it please?

Post by icosahedron »

You have to remove the flywheel on a petrol engine in order to replace the spigot bearing. As you said: the spigot bearing diameter is larger than the opening in the flywheel. You probably pulled out the retaining ring that holds a felt washer in place in the opening.

helga592
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by helga592 »

I've just spent 7 hours under the van replacing the spigot bearing. I was at a very good friends garage who without his help I would have been well and truly stuffed. Gearbox out(never that easy and the 2 of the drive shaft bolts are always a pain ), Clutch off(had to replace the bolts), Flywheel off(again replaced the Bolts coz the old ones unusable), then for the spigot baring all but 2 of the pins were gone. we used a small prybar and a screw driver. Now all back together and all seems ok. What a job never again
1.9 watercooled hightop on LPG
Reliant ss1

New Kentish Campers

helga592 wrote:I've just spent 7 hours under the van replacing the spigot bearing. I was at a very good friends garage who without his help I would have been well and truly stuffed. Gearbox out(never that easy and the 2 of the drive shaft bolts are always a pain ), Clutch off(had to replace the bolts), Flywheel off(again replaced the Bolts coz the old ones unusable), then for the spigot baring all but 2 of the pins were gone. we used a small prybar and a screw driver. Now all back together and all seems ok. What a job never again

Blimey, I didn't quite spend that long though it felt like it! On the other hand, sod's law dictates that had I left in in place, then the bearing would have began to squel every time I depressed the clutch :roll:
So, it's flywheel off time then, what fun... :(

Thanks for youir replies, Guys.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I had this put in the Wiki last year when I did mine as therewas nothing in there about petrol engines

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Pe ... ft_bearing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as you probably won't have the tool Aidan shows scroll down to my pics at the bottom and you will find a very easy DIY tool called a rawlbolt, I can't claim to have invented the idea ( got it off Mr Hulley IIRC) :ok

people have since said you don't need new bolts for the flywheel but for the money I wouldnt take the chance
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

New Kentish Campers

Thanks Itchy.

Funnily enough, I just read your link all about that; I wish I'd found that before I wasted a lot of time trying to yank it out :roll: I did read some wiki info on it beforehand, where it showed the bearing being taken out from the crankshaft but it didn't mention anything about flywheel removal, hence my confusion.

I've just ordered new bolts, rings and felt seal too, from brickwerks so hopefully that will sort the problem out. Hope so, I'm booked for a ferry to France next tuesday :shock:

Doug.