Jx glow plug query

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: Jx glow plug query

Post by what2do »

metalmick8y wrote:worth noting that i had a simmilar issue some time back and the fuse whilst looking intact was cracked and just enough left to make a connection but no more, they are very frail and deteriorate with age so take care,
mm

I only gave the fuse a cursory glance at sunset last night. Will have a better look today.

Best place to walk in a get a spare fuse is?

Starting on the button before and since them not working yesterday. Is it Looking more like the relay could be at fault, thoughts please?

Thanks to all. Mitch
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

syncronized
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by syncronized »

From what you have posted it looks like the glow plugs are working as they should AFAIK. If you went to the pub at lunchtime on one of the hottest days of the year & then tried to start to come home after an hour or 2 I doubt very much if your glowplugs would come into play. I know mine wouldn't.
Mark
JX Tin top Syncro camper

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

Gsf walk in .
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

...and the wiring (heavy red I think) to the glows is in good condition. Mine had once been written off by a lecy fire in engine compartment... I subsequently discovered :(
I suspect it was in that junction box or nearby and glow circuit related.
Although a mess in places still everything is now fused back at source next to the battery before it even gets to junctoon box... except the heavy amps feed to starter motor
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

what2do

Post by what2do »

Thanks chaps. Somewhat annoying that 'modern vehicles' determine the if heat is required, in this instance it was required but failed to come on, hence, the 20 30 seconds of cranking to get it to fire up.

I remember old Landies, the glowlugs were activated by the key every single time no matter if you had just turned the engine off and it was still hot. Well, let's hope that's all it is with my van. Thanks to you lot I've learned something and I hope others have too.

Don't we all just live a happy ending!!!! Now then, is it time to have a look why the trailing arms are wobbling like they're about to come unattached??? That's another thread entirely!

Thanks mitch.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Sheet... get that looked at or take some photos of the attachment points.. spefically the outer one. Has it seen a wire brush lately?
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

yes seriously wire brush/scrape and take a few picks also showing wheel angle from rear,
mm

what2do

Post by what2do »

Ill try and get some pics up so you can see the corrosion in the outer bracket. Haven't dared jack it up yet to see the extent of the problem. Taking it off the road for a few months as I picked up my beloved van from the panel shop. Very pleased with the work (rear arches and panels fore/aft. Done everything I asked, tidily and at a fair price too. This means, the diesel can be jacked up and 10 kg of welding wire introduced - jacking points are shot too!

Fun fun fun!

Oh by the way, whilst my head was in the engine bay looking at the fuse, I thought I'd have a pull at the starter wires. Yep, green and corroded. Closed the lid quick. After picking kids up today, turned the key, nothing! Blind panic for a couple of minutes, tapping starter whilst the 9 year old turned the key. Still nothing, then, in a moment of clarity I thought I'd wiggle the trigger wire, BROOM, away it went.

That'll teach me to fiddle with wires unnecessarily!!

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.