2L Aircooled gear shaft - initial setup

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mrbodly
80-90 Mem No: 13264

2L Aircooled gear shaft - initial setup

Post by mrbodly »

Hi all

I've just replaced the gear shaft bush above the fuel tank. Before dismantling and removing the shafts I marked the shaft pinch bolt/clamp with tippex before removing. I've also just had the gearbox rebuilt if this has any bearing on my problem.

On reassembly I put the gearbox in neutral, fitted the shafts together and aligned my tippex marks before tightening the pinch bolt. However 1st and 2nd are hard to select, 3rd and 4th impossible, although reverse is fine.

Could anyone tell me the procedure for setting up from scratch?

Cheers
Myles

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: 2L Aircooled gear shaft - initial setup

Post by bigherb »

Make sure the holes in the gear lever mounting plate align with the holes in the body.
Yours will look different but the holes are the same.

Make sure the gearbox is in neutral and the gear lever is central fore and aft, then adjust the rod so that that there is 19mm gap here.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

mrbodly

Post by mrbodly »

Thanks big herb, will give it a go.

mrbodly

Post by mrbodly »

Just to update.

Made a spacer from a piece of wood. In my case it needed to be 22mm, it all depends on your chassis number, some are 19mm.

I clamped the wood against the metal stopper on the right of the gear box protector. I loosened the gear shaft pinch bolt, made sure gearbox was in neutral (gear leaver pushed all they way to rear of van, then forward 1 notch, leaver will move inwards and out wards significantly if in neutral).

Pushed the bottom of gear stick up against the wooden spacer and positioned it halfway along the stopper. Got my girlfriend to hold the gear stick in position whilst I tightened up the gear shaft pinch bolt. Now I can engage the all the gears.

I am missing the stopper inside the gear stick protector on the left hand side, so the gear lever travels further to the right than it should. Does anyone know if this stopper is still available?

Thanks to big herb for pointing me in the right direction.

Hope this can be of use to others.

Cheers
Myles

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

mrbodly wrote:Just to update.

Made a spacer from a piece of wood. In my case it needed to be 22mm, it all depends on your chassis number, some are 19mm.

Cheers
Myles
Actually it depends on the gearbox. 19mm for Aircooled and early watercooled with the 091 box, 23mm for later watercooled with the 091-1 box.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow