1.6td - No additional water pump or expansion tank

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

1.6td - No additional water pump or expansion tank

Post by RogerT »

I have no additional water pump on my 1988 1.6td. The hoses are just joined at that point. I guess the implications are risk of overheating? If I get one, how does it wire in? Plumbing it in looks easy enough - the hoses are there... But no visible dangling wires.

AND, it doesn't have an expansion tank behind the engine. Did they all have them? Might it have been re-sited? Might the water pump have been re-sited? I just seem to have a top-up tank.

Should I worry, cross my fingers, or panic?
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Re: 1.6td - No additional water pump or expansion tank

Post by HarryMann »

No the oil cooler/ heat exchanger is a quick oil warmup device and then the oil heats the water. .. not overly important IMHO.
Just let the engine idle a while before turning off if been driving at power setting (cruising say pulling into services etc)
Don't just turn off... when starting try not to use any throttle until idle stabilised on all 4 and oil.pressure come up

As for water tank.. if right yoy need it sorted. Get someone who knows these to look orvtake several photos
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

It sounds like you only have the header tank with metal or plastic pressure cap? If this is the case you need not to worry about the additional tank that sits behind the rear flap. It needs to about 2/3rds full of coolant. Too little and the water level light will flash. Too much and coolant will be forced out of the overflow pipe when hot/under pressure.

As Clive said, a pic of the engine would be helpful.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Here's a couple of photos, if all goes well. The oil filter is plumbed into the cooling system, it is the additional water pump that is located on the front wall of the engine bay that is missing. You should be able to see the pipes joined nearby (just to the left of the square hole in the engine bay wall - the pipe that doubles back on itself).

I have the water tank on the right hand side of the engine , withe the blue cap and the overflow pipe. The water level in this seems quite stable. So what function does the tank behind the flap serve, and what is performing that function in the absence of the tank?

I follow your point about letting the engine cool down. Probably the absence of a functioning LDA limits how hard the engine works( see thread nearby on how much boost should I feel). Anyone got any clues on wiring in the pump if I get one? They seem to be freely available.
Cheers
Roger

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Freely available but not free by any means... mine hasn't been operational for years. I had it wired manually for a while.

Has it got the turbo cooling fan that blows across the centre tubo bearing housing after shutdown? The trigger sender I think is common to the oil/water heat exchanger.. that is, it keeps running after switchoff as well.

The overflow tank takes overflow from the expansion tank and allows it to be sucked back when cooling down... reducing the need for topping up.

Be aware TDs run hot. Oil and water. Esp. When holding boostvwhich theyvfo even when cruising at 55 /60.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Hmm, nope, not aware of having that fan. If I peer underneath will it be blindingly obvious?

As for the extra tank, I guess it'll be more important if I actually get some boost, I'm guessing boost = more power = more heat = water likely to expand? And I'll need that additional water pump as well to cool the head.

I wonder what else a jx can do without?

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

No turbo cooling fan, but no worries. I didn't realise it was synchro specific, and now I know the value of a signature with details of what I'm driving. Sorry for the confusion. Found the wiring diagram for the pump on another thread. I'll keep looking for the coolant tank details - I can't be the first in this position...