Noisy turbo 1600TD

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Troopy
80-90 Mem No: 13711

Noisy turbo 1600TD

Post by Troopy »

Hi all, my recently purchased van has a noisy turbo when moving. I have a receipt from the previous owner for a full engine rebuild around 4000 miles back, but I'm assuming that they put the old turbo back on.

Now I have read that the turbo's whistle quite loud on these but no-one has mentioned HOW loud Mine sounds like you are being chased by the police!!

I am guessing this is a sign that its on its way out but thought I would check from those in the know before I went to the expense of getting a new one :D
1987 1.6 TD

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Noisy turbo 1600TD

Post by lloydy »

or an air leak, mine squealed a fair bit, was a leak on the exhaust manifold. Have a look for sooty stains on it.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Exhaust probably. The back box fell of my van last Monday (not fitted by me I hasten to add), and it was about 20 minutes later that I realised my engine sounded like a Perkins in a Massey Ferguson. Left it like that for a few days until I could put the exhaust back together, kids thought it sounded ace! Turbos massively suppress engine noise which in turn allows you to hear the turbo whistling - good in it?
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

They don't actually whistle a lot on JXs ... there are two types Garret T2 and Schwitzer KKK (most common)

You are correct in that if nothing else has changed (as above.. exhaust etc) there may be damage to the impeller usually on the induction side.
But it doesn't automatically mean it's on the way out.
You could remove the rubber doughnut manifold (wiggles out.. just) and inspect compressor blades and check shaft play (20 to 40 thou rock accetable they don't run like a ball bearing fit)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

@harry, I respect your comments as you're better informed than me on all matters regarding t25's but perhaps you could explain why the turbo on my Jx whistles terrifically? Hoping you're not going to say that whistling is an indication of a turbo that needs condemning!!
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

No I didn't say that just that normally they don't whistle a lot IMO.
Me earlier wrote: But it doesn't automatically mean it's on the way out.
:)

Many vagaries can do that you can have whistlers and non whistlers.

But it can be a sign that impeller is damaged... thats all. Many will have some blade edge damage c.f. new esp. If air filter not good or its injested water or similar. Turning at 100,000 rpm so imagine what dust can do
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Jakemate
80-90 Mem No: 13382

Post by Jakemate »

Mine whistled a bit, not really loud.
Took turbo off and found that the exhaust housing side of the turbo had worked it's way loose.
The clamping bolts had moved so the exhaust housing was wobbling and the exhaust turbine was catching.
Turbo boosted fine but if I had left it I'm sure it would have ended in tears.
A turbo company I had a chat with said it was more common than what you would think and was a cause of premature failure on the k14 turbos.
It's worth a check at least.
Vw Vanagon Westfalia Hitop 1.6td always poorley ;)