Mystery fuel line component?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Roydini
80-90 Mem No: 5119

Mystery fuel line component?

Post by Roydini »

Hi all!

I'm about to replace the front to back coolant pipes and thought while I'm at it I would overhaul the fuel system too. I've had a good look around what bits I have fitted and think I have everything ready to order but one thing is puzzling me? On the fuel feed line, between the tank and the fuel filter, there is a t-piece with a fuel line leading off up above the tank somewhere with what almost looks like another fuel filter attached (see pics below). This doesn't seem to exist on any of the schematics I've found for the fuel system and i wondered if anyone can tell me what it is?

In case it helps, my VIN number is from January 1983 so pretty much everything in the van is 'early' style.

Thanks for the help folks :D

LHD 1983 1.9 DG Petrol Pop-Top Westfalia Joker

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Mystery fuel line component?

Post by California Dreamin »

Eberspacher night heater 'petrol pump' :ok The heater itself is in the rusty box to the right of your first picture.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Might not be a bad idea to replace those jubilee clips with proper petrol pipe clips when you replace the lines (though you've probably got them anyway)
:ok

Roydini

Post by Roydini »

Fantastic! Thanks guys, I really appreciate your replies, I've often wondered what that rusty box was :?

New Kentish Campers - absolutely, very good advice. I've got the Brickwerks 'complete feed and return fuel lines' ordered which I would have thought use proper fuel line clips - can anyone confirm? However, these don't account for the T-piece and Eberspacher fuel line so thats something else to think about...

Martin - Brilliant, thanks for identifying that for me. I have never used the Eberspacher in over 6 years - never felt the need, plus it doesn't actually work :rollin I'm tempted to just disconnect this line and tie it off somewhere and then fit the new complete Brickwerks feed line - Does that sound stupid/dangerous to you? And if so, do you know where I could get the replacement parts for this section of fuel line?

Thanks again chaps :)

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Not a stupid idea....just by-pass the pump by removing the Y piece then pull apart the feed/earth connector to the eber or tape up the two wires going to the pump.
I'm trying to get my eber working at the moment so if you want to sell yours for spares PM me.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Roydini

Post by Roydini »

Great, thanks again Martin, I'll probably just do that rather than try to source new parts etc. I'll certainly let you know if I decide just to strip out the Eber and flog it :)

Cheers!