T25 1983 1.9 Gearbox reversing switch cam failure

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

KamperMan
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 1983 1.9 Gearbox reversing switch cam failure

Post by KamperMan »

The reversing light switch is operated by a rotating shaft in the gearbox which has a cam shape built onto it. This shaft may or may not be an extension of the main shaft as it seems to have a sort of flexible joint and the end is supported by a bearing in the removable housing. The cam profile has broken and I have now broken 2 switches as the cam jams on the switch button rather than pushing it to the on position. I have temporarily rebuilt the cam profile using a resin and it is currently working but I am not sure it will last. Please see attached photograph of the shaft - question is; does anyone know if this gearbox shaft or the short extension shaft can be replaced and does anyone know of a supplier - can't see anything on the normal supplier websites. The gearbox is not the original 1983 box as this was replaced by a later model gearbox a few years ago.

Many thanks in advance for any help on this question, Ray Kamperman

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: T25 1983 1.9 Gearbox reversing switch cam failure

Post by Aidan »

cam is fitted to end of selector shaft, to fix repalce the whole selector shaft, cam can't be removed and refitted
may also find that the cup it pivots in is broken when you get it out, in neutral with the ball on the other end removed it slides out the hole you picture, new £200 from Heritage, good used one £45 posted paypal my email adress in the signature