Starting issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JimmyT25
80-90 Mem No: 14160

Starting issues

Post by JimmyT25 »

I have had some issues starting my van (a 1.9dg engine with original pierburg 2e3) for a while and put it down to an issue I was having with my timing as I have replaced/reconditioned everything else recently including new starter and wiring, sorted earth points, new battery, dizzy cap and rotor arm, plug leads, new plugs, new coil, new fuel pump and reconditioned the carb/set it up!
A couple of weeks ago I got hold of a timing light and proceeded to set the timing correctly using my Haynes manual, I immediately had an issue, the manual says attach to plug 1 which didn't work, but it did work on plug 3!

The starting problem still remains, I turn the engine over, and it won't fire until I turn the key off then it fires, sometimes starting sometimes not, could the issue I had setting the timing be anything to do with this or is it more likely to be something else?

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm running out of ideas and although the van starts eventually and runs well it's very annoying having to keep turning it over all the time.

Jimmy

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Starting issues

Post by kevtherev »

what didn't work?
The timing light flash ?

first off is it wired right

No 1 should be about the 5 o'clock position
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

JimmyT25
80-90 Mem No: 14160

Post by JimmyT25 »

It's wired up as per the diagram.
The timing light flashes fine but when i put it onto plug lead going to cylinder 1 the marks on the flywheel are not visible, I put it onto lead 3 and the marks are then visible.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Looks like you distributor has been put on wrongly at some point.
It's 180 deg out

it needs to come out and turned
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

It could be the ignition switch check with a multi meter or test light tha the black wire on the coil is powered when you are cranking the engine, if not then the ignition switch is at fault.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow