Engine oil changes.

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RICH1505

Engine oil changes.

Post by RICH1505 »

My Haynes T25 manual suggests oil changes at 5000 miles or every six months if the mileage is less. I would imagine that few low-mileage vehicles have their oil changed as frequently as this, with oil the price it is. Many campers only do a couple of thousand miles a year.
But why the time factor? Oil in the tin does not have a use-by date. Is there a chemical process taking place within the engine which causes the oil to continue to deteriorate once the engine has been run, irrespective of running hours, or are these recommendations merely a means of increasing the sale of oil? I would be interested to hear members'views.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Engine oil changes.

Post by itchyfeet »

Yes it deteriorates
its not so expensive really

free delivery
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/a ... &0&cc5_246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

RICH1505 wrote:with oil the price it is. Many campers only do a couple of thousand miles a year.
Oil is _cheap_.

If you do "a couple of thousand miles a year", you're spending - oooh - £200 on insurance, £126 on tax disc, £50 on MOT. That's 15-20p/mile in fixed costs right there. Then there's fuel - another 20p/mile. Plus all the other costs... You could very easily and very quickly get to 60, even 70p/mile all in.

On top of that, what's another 1.5p/mile for a sump full of good quality insurance for your engine? If you're skimping on that, what other false economies are you making? Not changing the brake fluid every other year? Coolant?
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Trick is to plan ahead (also applies to tyres). One way to save without compromising is buying a years worth of oil changes when you see it at a price that is worth snapping up. Oil, like a new tyre, will always cost you a darned sight more if you have to buy it at a moments notice. You have to pay it anyway so planning ahead is worthwhile. :wink:

I've got my oil changes down to £30 a year now for two but I do buy ahead. Shelf life for oil is about two years - allegedly.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

I have often wondered about the oil filter?
only a few thousand miles the oil will degrade but the filter is surely good for many more miles, i wonder if it could just be emptied and refilled every other change so just one a year?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Jakemate
80-90 Mem No: 13382

Post by Jakemate »

Mine had constant oil changes when the turbo seal were faulty, constantly getting topped up with new oil :)
Vw Vanagon Westfalia Hitop 1.6td always poorley ;)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

AdrianC wrote:what other false economies are you making? Not changing the brake fluid every other year?

Note to self :oops: :roll:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

itchyfeet wrote:I have often wondered about the oil filter?
only a few thousand miles the oil will degrade but the filter is surely good for many more miles, i wonder if it could just be emptied and refilled every other change so just one a year?
A filter is SIX QUID, ffs...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RICH1505

Post by RICH1505 »

A couple of interesting points here.
(1) Is it better to use cheap oil and change often, or use good quality semi-synthetic and change less often?
(2) VW say their own coolant does not need to be changed, unless it shows obvious signs of deterioration.

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

AdrianC wrote:

Bit rude...the chap was only asking a question!

BUT>>> if it can be refilled....better to use than fill up landfill sites??

There's more to the world than how much it costs....

(and TBH I thought accepted practices was oil change was every 6,000 miles, with a filter every second change?)

Play nicely please folks!

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Every 5000 miles or twice a year oil and filter change bollox to the landfill look after your engine.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

AdrianC wrote:

Missed the point entirely, i have plenty of money thanks and do change them but not everybody does and there are some tree huggers out there although im not one of them
Is there any technical reason why not was really my question?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

itchyfeet wrote:
AdrianC wrote:
Missed the point entirely

Then my apologies. Since the thread had started off talking about oil being expensive, I assumed the question was to save money.

Is there any technical reason why not was really my question?

None whatsoever. The only reason to only change the filter every other oil change is to save a couple of quid.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

RICH1505 wrote:A couple of interesting points here.
(1) Is it better to use cheap oil and change often, or use good quality semi-synthetic and change less often?
(2) VW say their own coolant does not need to be changed, unless it shows obvious signs of deterioration.

1. I use 20/50 mineral and change it to the book every six months.
2. coolant change every two years or your water jacket seal will eventually leak (Phosphate pitting)
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Jakemate
80-90 Mem No: 13382

Post by Jakemate »

Yep it's preventative maintainance to avoid future problems. I'd rather not take the gamble.
I also service my Mrs car every year regardless even though it specifies every 20000 miles or 2 yearly.
Vw Vanagon Westfalia Hitop 1.6td always poorley ;)