Engine oil changes.

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Engine oil changes.

Post by New Kentish Campers »

RICH1505 wrote:A couple of interesting points here.
(1) Is it better to use cheap oil and change often, or use good quality semi-synthetic and change less often?
(2) VW say their own coolant does not need to be changed, unless it shows obvious signs of deterioration.

I'd do two changes a year, including a filter and sod the landfil [sorry EM :P ] Always using mineral oil; 20/50 for the warmer months and 15/40 f0r the colder ones but hey, it's up to you :)

Dunno about coolant, but I would have thought annually, like brake fluid? Thats what I do anyway. No wonder, as mentioned by the good wife, it costs a bomb to run. So does a new engine... :shock:

E D I T: Just read Kev's post about coolant :oops: That'll save me a few quid this year..... :)

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

Don't mention synthetic!

If you do then have some sand ready in case the synthetic decides to part with the engine!
Das AutoWagen.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

xpress wrote:Don't mention synthetic!

If you do then have some sand ready in case the synthetic decides to part with the engine!
It's worth remembering that the owner's handbook explicitly recommends synthetic...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

I'm gonna try it this time around!
Das AutoWagen.