blowing hot air

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

monkeychub
80-90 Mem No: 0

blowing hot air

Post by monkeychub »

Hi all,
Please be gentle with me as im new to all this. Ive just bought my first campervan, :D a T25, 1984, 1900cc hightop. I have a problem with the heater in the front, it seems to be blowing out boiling hot air down onto my legs and feet (almost unbearable heat) even with the heater switched off . Its cool to start with then after about 5 mins of driving it gets hotter and hotter. Ive taken it to my local vw enthusiast and he said there was something dodgy going on with the fuse and so he removed it completely but its still doing it! Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem before?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: blowing hot air

Post by kevtherev »

Welcome to the forum.
The heat is controlled by a valve under the van.
Yours has clearly parted from the control cable
Remove the spare tyre and you will see the valve
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

monkeychub wrote: Ive taken it to my local vw enthusiast and he said there was something dodgy going on with the fuse and so he removed it completely
I wouldn't be taking your van to that bloke again

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

WHS ^^^^^

Basically the cold outside air is heated by passing it over a radiator type thing that is in the dashboard; this radiator is heated using the hot coolant from the engine. The coolant travels from the back of the van to the front along pipes under the van and the amount of coolant that goes into the radiator is controlled by the valve that kevtherev is talking about. The heat control sliding knob on the dash is what you use to control how open/closed that valve is.
As he says - it sounds like the cable that connects the sliding knob to the valve has become disconnected and that is most likely occuring at the valve (I had the same problem where the little metal catch that holds the cable onto the valve had corroded and fallen apart). It's a fiddly job to fix but you may as well take a look to confirm that this is the problem (even if you eventually get someone else to fix it for you).

As an interim help - you should be able to reduce the flow of air to your legs by moving some of the other sliding knobs next to the heater knob - on mine the bottom sliding knob open/closes the flow of air to the legs but I know that other versions work differently; note that this won't fix the problem but it may reduce your discomfort until you can get it fixed.

And have a look at this post to understand what it is that you are looking for ....
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=128590
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

that all assumes it has the control vv fitted, and i certainly wouldnt be taking it back to the same useless personage that removed the fuse, Muppet :roll:
mm

monkeychub
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by monkeychub »

Ok thanks for that everyone, im not mechanically minded at all so I'll get someone to have a look at the cable for me. :)

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

monkeychub wrote:.... so I'll get someone to have a look at the cable for me. :)
Surely you can remove the spare tyre :shock:

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Monkeychub - I know exactly what you are talking about! Mine's been like that for years - I think I need a new cable...

Fortunately, mines an A reg panel van conversion....which means lucky for me that the dash vents at either end are direct to outside - ie ambient. Brilliant for cooling when you cant stop the top and bottom vents from beong channelled via the the heat exchanger. My late velle however, has side vents that are plumbed in to the internal heating system....so I am very glad that one works properly.

I jsut get used to driving in the tropics!! hahaha

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG