81 T25 2.0l Aircooled - Solex PDSIT 34 - Cracked Choke Plate

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DaveyHB
80-90 Mem No: 13371

81 T25 2.0l Aircooled - Solex PDSIT 34 - Cracked Choke Plate

Post by DaveyHB »

Evening all,

Just in the middle of rebuilding my carbs - Left one all done and dusted (this was the one that the mechanic said was 'worn') and have today started the right side.

After getting it out of the van and cleaning it up, I have noticed 2 things: 1) there is something rattling inside (I hope to find this during rebuild) and 2) the auto choke plate is cracked!! :cry: See attached picture.

My question is this, does it matter that this plate is cracked? If so, where would I find a replacement part? I have checked all the usual places but no one seems to have this as a replacement part.

Hope you to hear from some of you soon.

DB

DaveyHB

Re: 81 T25 2.0l Aircooled - Solex PDSIT 34 - Cracked Choke Plate

Post by DaveyHB »

UPDATE: I pushed ahead this morning with the carb rebuild only to stumble across worse news :cry:

The rattling that I mentioned in the original post was being caused by a broken part of the choke shaft!!! See picture for reference.

I am now (for the second summer in a row) stranded with a non working camper! This is getting depressing.

Does anyone know if replacement parts for the automatic choke can be purchased? If so, from where. If not, does anyone know of anyone breaking down an engine which happens to have working carbs (Solex 32-34 PDSitT-2) that I could buy?

Any help @ all is appreciated...

DB

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Gower & Lee
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

DaveyHB

Post by DaveyHB »

Thanks for the tip Kev. Sadly though, they do not sell the particular parts that I am after.

Anyone else any pointers?

Markpc
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Markpc »

Just remove the chokes, don't really need them unless you're using the van in winter. Even then I think you'd be ok without them

Fudgy666
80-90 Mem No: 13188

Post by Fudgy666 »

DaveyHB wrote:Thanks for the tip Kev. Sadly though, they do not sell the particular parts that I am after.

Anyone else any pointers?

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I had the exact same problem a while ago:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=128433

I shopped around loads but couldn't find spares anywhere. :(

In the end I had to wait for a spare one to turn up on Ebay (I actually brought 2 because the first one I brought had the exact same broken choke shaft.)

On the plus side though, if you can wait for one to turn up they sometimes go quite cheap. Good Luck.
1982 T25 2.0L Aircooled(CU) with Twin Solex's No idea what version/type of camper conversion