Coolant coming out of header tank from cold start

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

grace72
80-90 Mem No: 2691

Coolant coming out of header tank from cold start

Post by grace72 »

I think this means knackered head gasket?
Had the level sensor blow last week, replaced that and topped up system, drove to work, expansion tank behind flap was bubbling when I arrived. A mile from home on the way home heard a bang and some steam, the distribution junction had blown! So replaced the dale cap, the junction the thermostat and flushed water through all the small pipes and rest of engine making sure water flowed through them and replaced old pipes, i didn't flush through the pipes forward of the thermostat though as plain forgot that the thermostat would prevent water towards the radiator! so filled with 7 litres of coolant as per Haynes and managed to get in 5.5 litres of water, before to hot whilst bleeding in engine bay and radiator, especially the radiator as i tried to get rid of the old pink coolant that was left and screwed in the bleed screw when the new purple coolant came out. This morning I filled another 1/2 litre of water and ran the engine to high revs afor a few seconds nd then removed the cap to continue putting more water in got maybe a another 1/4 litre, replaced cap and gunned it again and as i removed the cap the tank overflowed, it wasn't even tepid.
Knackered head gasket? Also when filling tank yesterday when cold there was "smoke/steam " coming out of the tank, combustion gasses?
Had a good look on forum/wiki but nothing I could find matching this. Searched google and most situations like this do seem to be to do with head gaskets
:(
What do you guys think?
1.9 DG Autohomes with Westfalia roof

jimpainter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Coolant coming out of header tank from cold start

Post by jimpainter »

What engine is it? It doesn't sound too good though. With the cap off do you get any air bubbles, do you have any steam/white smoke from the exhaust or oil in the water or vise versa?

Jim
JRP Automotive welding,bodywork, resprays, servicing and repair.
Classic Vw's
Cheshire

grace72

Post by grace72 »

Doh! sorry it's the 2.1DJ engine. No steam from exhaust, or oil in water.

grace72

Post by grace72 »

Yes some small frothy bubbles

jimpainter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jimpainter »

If your getting bubbles it's a possibility, but if you can get it to a local garage they should be able to do a test to see if you have exhaust gasses in the coolant.
JRP Automotive welding,bodywork, resprays, servicing and repair.
Classic Vw's
Cheshire

grace72

Post by grace72 »

Yes contacting Gasure tomorrow to get it looked at, hopefully with the heating on full I can get the 7 miles there!
Cheers dude
Gaz :)