Handbrake adjustment

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Handbrake adjustment

Post by bigherb »

CJH wrote:
When I was reassembling and doing the initial adjustment, I did make sure that the handbrake handle was released, and I did tighten up the adjusters by hand until the drum was a 'light friction fit', but I think with hindsight that if the shoes weren't properly centred (and there's no way they could have been at that stage) then the light friction was probably from one edge of one shoe. I think I just didn't get the adjusters tight enough before diving in and tightening up the handbrake. And maybe that was compounded by not backing off the handbrake adjustment first.

Not sure what you did.
Just half fit the drum, adjust the shoes so that both shoes are a just near touching at the top and bottom that will make sure the shoes are central.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Thanks for all the advice folks. It was a piece of cake getting the adjustment right this evening, now that I realise the initial adjustment needs to be much tighter than I first had it. I backed the handbrake balance bar right off, adjusted the shoes up, then reset the handbrake so that it started to bite on the second notch. The footbrake pedal feels better, and the handbrake holds the van against reverse gear pretty well too.

It didn't cure my handbrake warning light though. But I followed Dazco's suggestion and now that's fixed too.

I won't ask what that makes Dazco :run
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

:ok tis very weird that fix . Even campershack Andy admits its a strange fix . But , if it works , it works :D
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump