irwin bolt grip base fastener nut remover

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dave lfc
80-90 Mem No: 9021

irwin bolt grip base fastener nut remover

Post by dave lfc »

hi everyone just thought I would give you the heads up about the Irwin bolt/nut fastener remover.well I have just bought an engine and the exhaust will have to be renewed in the near future.anyway bought these bolt grips a while back and thought I would give them ago as the engine was off the van.so the nuts that keep the exhaust on to the engine studs were absolutely gone wouldn't take a normal socket.so cleaned as much rot off the nuts as possible then a good hit of wd40 and a coulpe of taps with the hammer and left it for half an hour then another hit of wd for another half an hour.anyway tapped on one of the irwn sockets and when you turn it it grips into whats left of the nut/bolt and it just came straight off no messing around.thought it might of been a one off but it did every single nut and they were all in bad shape.the thread that was underneath what was left under the nut was fine but the rest of the stud was gone.just thought I would mention them as if you planning to remove you exhaust these are a pretty handy piece of kit,cheers dave
its better to burn out than to fade away 1.9 dg petrol transporter1988

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: irwin bolt grip base fastener nut remover

Post by CovKid »

Irwins - praises sung many times on 80-90. Couldn't have got my waterpump out without those - no way. :lol:

They also (amazingly) will grab hold of round head allen bolts....
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

I will need to replace the u manifold pipe. Was the part of the stud that was gone a problem or was there enough thread to put another nut on with the new u pipe?
Das AutoWagen.

edoh
80-90 Mem No: 3974

Post by edoh »

they are the biz :D
seems there is a preference on the forum for using plus gas as opposed to wd 40 -
which is seen as more of a 'water dispersal' spray - :ok
Owner of a red T25 fixed hi top campervan - colour - spikey red - petrol - water cooled - 1.9 dg engine rhd - 1990 g reg n still going strong!-

dave lfc
80-90 Mem No: 9021

Post by dave lfc »

xpress wrote:I will need to replace the u manifold pipe. Was the part of the stud that was gone a problem or was there enough thread to put another nut on with the new u pipe?
There was enough thread to put a new nut on with a couple of washers to :ok
its better to burn out than to fade away 1.9 dg petrol transporter1988

xpress

Post by xpress »

That's good to know! Maybe I will get lucky too! I have the early exhaust! Is it the same studs and nut arrangement for the left hand u manifold pipe!? What size nuts do I need and where's best place for them! On the early pipe will I need any exhaust paste new clips or gasket where the pipe comes out of the engine block?
Das AutoWagen.

xpress

Post by xpress »

Is there enough space to get an irwin nut remover on the exhaust manifold nuts in situ on the van?
Das AutoWagen.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

xpress wrote:Is there enough space to get an irwin nut remover on the exhaust manifold nuts in situ on the van?
On some of them, yes. On others, not without some stripping-down.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xpress

Post by xpress »

How about the bolt inside the bend?

Early exhaust!

If I can't get an 11mm irwin on it then there's no point me buying them at this stage!

I think I might be able to wedge it on and use a spanner on the irwin magic hexadecimal edges!
Das AutoWagen.