bracket repair

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ticket2ride
80-90 Mem No: 13385

bracket repair

Post by ticket2ride »

I need to replace a bolt on this bracket under the van. Any tips how to go about it? What size bolt do I need? The nut is still attached on the other side. I think there is a small plate welded to the other side of the bracket and part of the bolt is broken off inside. Will it need grinding off? Thanks in advance.

1987 1.9 Petrol DG hi-top.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Re: bracket repair

Post by Hacksawbob »

I'd be tempted to drill it out start with a 3mm drill bit dead centre and increase til you have a hole big enough to get a fresh bolt in. Maybe put a block of wood or metal the other side to stop you hitting the sump. Get a cold chisel (goggles) to smash off any remains of the nut the other side. size wise it is likely to be an M8 or 13mm bolt head.
member 1168

ticket2ride

Post by ticket2ride »

Thanks Hacksawbob

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

The nut the otherside is supposed to be there its what the bolt screws into, its pressed in or welded to the other plate that bolts to the engine

If you can undo the other two bolts and the clamp on the exhaust then the lower part of the bracket will swing out of the way, you can then get to the upper part, if you cant get mole grips on the broken bit then may be easier to remove the other part of the bracket and drill on the bench, a couple of nuts hold it to the crankcase

or....just leave it, two bolts is plenty, they are m8x16 or maybe 20, do yourself a favour and use stainless steel (get them on ebay cheap enough)
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ticket2ride

Post by ticket2ride »

itchyfeet wrote:The nut the otherside is supposed to be there its what the bolt screws into, its pressed in or welded to the other plate that bolts to the engine

If you can undo the other two bolts and the clamp on the exhaust then the lower part of the bracket will swing out of the way, you can then get to the upper part, if you cant get mole grips on the broken bit then may be easier to remove the other part of the bracket and drill on the bench, a couple of nuts hold it to the crankcase

or....just leave it, two bolts is plenty, they are m8x16 or maybe 20, do yourself a favour and use stainless steel (get them on ebay cheap enough)

I think I'll try to remove the upper part as you suggest, as it will be easier to work on if it's off the van. It looks as if it's not doing anything at the moment. If that fails your plan B looks likely. :)